Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Help plan my SE-Asia trip!

• Jastone

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2009

Hey guys,

Me and 2 friends are going on a SE Asian trip starting on jan 8th until feb 17th. Basically one of my friends isn't coming now at the last minute due to personal reasons and he was going to be directing us around. So now that he's gone, I'd love some help planning where to go!

We're starting in bangkok, then flying to koh samui on 9th, then ferry to full moon party on 10th. After that I'd love some tips on where to go and how to get around exactly (trains, buses, flight if we have to etc). After a rough guide of which cities to visit after being in Ko Samui (Phuket, Chiang Mai?) and how to travel upwards from there to see the rest of asia. We're keen to go to Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam and then back to bkk for our flight home. My budget is 4k, but i'd like to spend less.

Also we haven't organized any visas as the guy that bailed said we could organize over there, that true? Cheers for any help, really appreciate it. If no one can help we'll just wing it!

#1 Posted: 3/1/2009 - 12:00

• Advertisement

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

Depends where you want to go.Thailand has excellant long distance bus services and a pretty good train service although it is beginning to get a bit old.If you're in Ko Samui and you want to go to Chiang Mai by train you'll have to go Surat Thani to catch the train and travel to Bangkok.Then get another train to Chiang Mai .It all takes time and you'd probably want to break the trip in Bangkok.[Think about 10 hours from Surat to Bangkok,12 hours BKK to Chiang Mai ]Travel can also be a bit frustrating as unexpected things often happen.Buses and trains are the cheapest but it depends how much time you want to spend travelling.If you're not in a hurry they're fine but otherwise air travel is the way to go.Hope this helps.

#2 Posted: 3/1/2009 - 14:42

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Thaiman's advise is spot on. If you want to go to the Chiang Mai from Ko Samui I would fly. It's sooo much quicker and as you will be flying in and out of BKK already theres not much point getting a bus or train there and stopping over.

Take a look at Kanchanaburi and Ayutthaya as some places to vist. As your going to Ko Samui I wouldn't bother with Phuket as they are similler.

If your going to Cambodia, Seam Reap and Angkor Wat is amazing! Probably best to go there by air. DONT GET A BUS FROM KHAO SAN ROAD! :)

Vientiean in Loas is pretty cool too and can be reached by train from Thailand.

#3 Posted: 3/1/2009 - 19:12

• sparkle_sis-
    ta70

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2009

Hi;)
    I would also like some advice/help with my trip around S.E asia..
    I have booked my return flight to and from nkuala lumpa ..i arrive on july 6th and leave august 6th. so thats 4 weeks to travel..me and my friend were thinking of:
    a week in malaysia
    3 days in chiang mai
    3/4 days in bangkok
    4 days in phuket
    3 days in koh phanang for the half moon and black moon parties
    6 days in koh samui

1. do you think this is reasonable in the time we are going for??
    2. do I need to book accomodation in advance( do prices go up if you leave it and just turn up at the place?)
    3. internal flights from kuala lumpa to chiang mai/ chiang mai to bangkok/bangkok to phuket/ phuket to koh samui..do i need to book these also in advance?? do prices go up lots if you don't..?
    4. how will i get from koh samui back to kuala lumpa for my flight home???

last last question lol..do you think a 1000pounds will be enough for this..?( we may not go to phuket..just spend longer in koh samui as i love the island..or is phuket worth a vistit..how far is it from koh samui..? can u get a train/boat there??)

thanks!! bex x

#4 Posted: 4/1/2009 - 23:47

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi bex,

1) reasonable yes, though I wouldn't bother with Phuket -- it will be wet in July and you'd be better off sticking to the east coast -- Ko Tao perhaps.

2) If you're flexible and happy to look around to find a place, no need to book ahead.

3) Look into AirAsia, Tiger Airways, Jetstar and Nok Air -- these are all budget carriers -- generally the further you book in advance the cheaper the tickets are.

4) ferry train combo would be the easiest -- any travel agent in Samui would be able to set you up for that.

5) Thousand quid should be plenty.

#5 Posted: 5/1/2009 - 07:24

• sparkle_sis-
    ta70

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2009

thanks for that help!
    so is koh samui not hot in july..is july a bad time to go to thailand/malaysia??

okay so i shouldn't book a flight back to kuala lumpur - just ask travel agent( or reception desk i guess if not) about the ferry train...how does that work? is it a train to bangkok and then ferry over to kuala lumpur?

i'm just worried mostly about getting back to malaysia..because of postponed flights on those small planes or like only maybe a few flights a week..so if the ferry train comes every day pretty often that would be perfect and take my stress away! lol

thanks again.

p.s- u say 1000 pnds will be plenty..i dont particularly want to spend all that...what would you're rough amount be do you reckon?if im going to be staying in very cheap like 5 pnd a night hostels,and basicly will be spending my money on a little bit of shopping,not expensive food and going out in the evenings(drinks/taxi)...and then the internal flights from chiang mai to bangkok to koh samui etc... :)

#6 Posted: 5/1/2009 - 19:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
7 weeks in SE Asia trip plan, would you change sth? ... By AlexBCN on 22 Mar 2010 6 2953 15 Apr 2010
NOV 12 - SE ASIA. Travel companions with a plan...or a plan ... By chocolat on 25 Jul 2012 1 721 30 Jul 2012