Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Robbed Blind in Ko Pha-Ngan?

• stewcon

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2008

I'm meeting friends in Ko Pha-Ngan for a week and am hearing poor reviews on security at guest houses....does anyone have any advice for a place that is close to the beach with good security/lock boxes? I'm looking at spending about $US 12-15 a night for 2 people. I'm not normally one to be paranoid (been travelling a long time with no problems).

#1 Posted: 4/1/2009 - 16:20

• Advertisement

• strutmissli-
    zzie

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2009

I went with a tour and instead of staying on the main beach (Haad Rin) where the full moon party takes place we stayed one beach over (Haad Yuan, pronounced "had wan") it is a short long tail boat ride around the pier and is nice because it's close to the action without being right in the middle of it. I stayed at Barcelona resort but I heard most places over there were pretty reasonable. It's a bit of a hippie beach and SO much fun. I hope this helps!

#2 Posted: 5/1/2009 - 11:04

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

You have to be careful in Thailand and I would NEVER leave valuables in a room without a safe in any part of Thailand (or the world for that matter!)

As for accommodation goes, I would stay the other side of the Island than Haad Rin, I recommend Haad Yao (Long Beach) Or Further north there are some really nice beaches as well. You can still go to the full moon party but it doesn’t mean you have to stay in the thick of it.

#3 Posted: 5/1/2009 - 20:14

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I've never had a problem leaving stuff locked in my backpack in my room, that being said staying in Hadd Rin is not worth it, nicer beaches elsewhere on the island.

#4 Posted: 17/6/2012 - 08:54

• guernseydan

Joined Travelfish
    26th December, 2010

Go around the corner to Haad Yuan for a little bit of paradise!

#5 Posted: 19/6/2012 - 13:54

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

If you worry about security in Thailand fHS don't come to Cambodia.Thailand is pretty safe most of the time the thieves are Westerners

#6 Posted: 20/6/2012 - 00:59

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Unless you are in Haad Rin during the full moon party then I wouldn't worry about it. The island as a whole is pretty safe.

#7 Posted: 20/6/2012 - 21:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.