Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Chiang Mai - Mae Sa Waterfall

• chocolatemo-
    nkee

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2008
    Location Canada

Is it relatively easy to get from Chiang Mai to Mae Sa on a step-thru automatic scooter? If so, what would the directions be?

Thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 19/1/2009 - 09:57

• Advertisement

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

Don't know but most waterfalls in Thailand are disappointing.

The most famous one is Erawan near Kanchanaburi.

#2 Posted: 19/1/2009 - 10:03

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hello again monkey,

according to one non-Travelfish source, "Mae Sa Waterfall is about 25 kilometers north of Chiang Mai on the Mae Rim-Samoeng Road. A number Songtaews are available from the city to the waterfall."

that is a makeable distance on a motor scooter, but with the traffic that road gets, i'd want to make sure i was relatively skilled and comfortable riding. it might not be a trip for a novice driver.

either way, scooter or songtaew (share truck taxi), you can most likely get directions from your guest house or rental place.

i think i saw a video of mae sa waterfall on you tube if you want to have a look before you go.

by the way, how about that somtam? do you have the storage space and bandwidth for video? i have a short but fun one of our trip to chiang dao. cheers.

#3 Posted: 19/1/2009 - 10:53

• chocolatemo-
    nkee

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2008
    Location Canada

Travelrock - Been to Erawan Falls and it was an enjoyable day trip. Hope Mae Sa is just as much fun.

Exacto - Thx for the heads up on the road. I am comfortable riding (even in Thailand) but may choose the songtaew although this will limit our exploring somewhat. I looked it up on Youtube and think that it will be a worthwhile day trip. Not so much for the falls themselves but more to get out into the country side.
    Mae Ya in Doi Inthanon looks pretty cool.

Thanks for the responses.

#4 Posted: 20/1/2009 - 11:05

• thaiyaikit

Joined Travelfish
    20th September, 2008

To get to Mae Sae Waterfalls - take Chang Phuak Road towards Mae Rim. Chang (Phuak Road branches off from the North side of the moat.) Follow the road all the way to Mae Rim - the signs are in English as well as Thai so it should be straightforward. When you get to Mae Rim the road becomes quite busy and traffic slows down as their is a busy market on the right. Look out for a large school on your left, almost opposite the market. Drive past the school and soon afterwards you come to traffic lights. Go straight. At the next traffic lights turn left - you will see adverts at the junction for the Elephant Camp and Snake Farm. Continue along this road and look out for the entrance to the waterfalls on your left. (About 10 kms from the traffic lights).

Take drinking water with you - climbing to the top of the waterfall is strenuous exercise and you won't find anyone selling food or drink inside the park, except the stalls near the car park. The leisurely walk follows a well made path on the right as you ascend. For a more adventurous climb, cross over the left of the streams (over a bridge) and take the less well trodden route.

You can bathe in the pools and stand under some of the waterfalls, so take a towel with you. Hope you have fun!

#5 Posted: 22/1/2009 - 08:04

• thaiyaikit

Joined Travelfish
    20th September, 2008

Forgot to say that the entrance fee for the Waterfalls is 200 Baht. If you are more interested in visiting the countryside than waterfalls, you could drive further along the same road to the Queen Sirikit Botanic Gardens. 20 or 30 Baht entrance. It is a huge park with many different displays of trees/flowers and has magnificent views over the valley. There are small waterfalls and a stream running through the gardens.

If you do go there, visit the Botanic Resort opposite the main entrance and up the (very steep) hill. This was built by one of the Royal Family and is a hotel but also used as an education centre linked to the Botanic Gardens. Buy a coffee (expensive) at the open bar near reception. Sit back and drink in the views (the coffee won't seem so expensive!)

#6 Posted: 22/1/2009 - 08:52

• chocolatemo-
    nkee

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2008
    Location Canada

Once again... thanks Thaiyaikit!

#7 Posted: 26/1/2009 - 09:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.