Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Malarone in Bangkok?

• chicho83

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2008

Can anyone tell me if malarone is available to buy in the pharmacies in Bangkok or another similar Atovaquone/proguanil. i have to buy 3 months worth for me and my missus. To buy it in the uk just isnt worth thinking about.. if its available does anyone know the costs and any place near khoa san to get it from?

#1 Posted: 20/1/2009 - 04:18

• Advertisement

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

3 months what the hell for?

people live for years in thailand without it.

there are few places that it is recommended for and unless you are hiking thru the jungle for weeks really aint necessary.

#2 Posted: 20/1/2009 - 06:31

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Agree with the above. The side effects are not pleasant. No expat I know takes malaria prophylactics.

#3 Posted: 20/1/2009 - 12:38

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Here's a story regarding malaria in the region:
    http://www.travelfish.org/feature/95

#4 Posted: 20/1/2009 - 13:53

• berryg77

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

We couldn't find Malarone in Bangkok, but Doxy is cheap (as low as 4 bhat(12.5p)/tab unbranded or approx 25p/tab from Boots bangkok) to buy if you want to take something. It might be better to invest in repellent and wear long sleeves and loose long trousers in the evening. I took it for 3 months in Cambodia Laos and Vietnam without major side affects,(skin is more sensitive to sun) but i only took it because i had already bought it.
    Agree with other posters and wouldn't take it unless your doing a lot of jungle trekking, but you could be unlucky.

Enjoy the travels

#5 Posted: 20/1/2009 - 16:26

• berryg77

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

We couldn't find Malarone in Bangkok, but Doxy is cheap (as low as 4 bhat(12.5p)/tab unbranded or approx 25p/tab from Boots bangkok) to buy if you want to take something. It might be better to invest in repellent and wear long sleeves and loose long trousers in the evening. I took it for 3 months in Cambodia Laos and Vietnam without major side affects,(skin is more sensitive to sun) but i only took it because i had already bought it.
    Agree with other posters and wouldn't take it unless your doing a lot of jungle trekking, but you could be unlucky.

Enjoy the travels

#6 Posted: 20/1/2009 - 16:26

• chicho83

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2008

The pills werent for use in thailand, thats just where our plane lands. we will be travelling through Laos, cambodia & Vietnam. i think we are gonna go for repellant and mozzie nets. Can i get a net from near khoa san or should i get it here?

and thanks for the advice

#7 Posted: 20/1/2009 - 19:45

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

My comments apply to laos, Cambo and vietnam as well. You won't need it unless you go trekking in the jungle.

#8 Posted: 21/1/2009 - 12:19

• bigbrownbuku

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2009

i noticed at least 2 pharmacies on khao sarn rd that carried malaria pills. the one right in front of the palace was 1.

#9 Posted: 21/1/2009 - 12:38

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

dengue is more of a concern as there is no treatment unlike malaria. cover up and avoid dusk/dawn walks in bad areas.

ive also heard vitamin b makes your skin less attractive to them but not sure if thats true

#10 Posted: 21/1/2009 - 22:16

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Can you get Malarone malaria tabs in Bangkok? ... By rhymeandreason on 1 Oct 2008 7 14820 8 Oct 2008
Going home, selling Malarone in Bangkok ... By traveller2342534 on 18 Jan 2011 1 1660 19 Jan 2011