Buriram/Ko Rat to Trat - How?!!

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi peeps,

I need to figure out how I can get to Trat (to go to Ko Chang) from Nang Rong.

I assume I will have to go to either Buriram city or Nakon Ratchsima (Ko Rat) to get the bus. As anyone done this before.

Nice one,
    Ant.

#1 Posted: 21/1/2009 - 06:45

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

I took a bus from Buriram to Chanthaburi and then changed to another one there to go to Trat about one year ago. There were several buses from Buriram to Chanthaburi during the morning/day. We ended up taking a pretty slow and rickety one (3rd class?) which passed through Aranyaprathet. Still quicker than via Bangkok, I think, and I'm pretty sure there are faster buses too.

#2 Posted: 21/1/2009 - 20:25

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

Hi, I thought something like that might be the only way. Any one know if the train goes anywhere near Trat?

Might just have to bus it then.

:)

#3 Posted: 22/1/2009 - 07:40

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey Khun Jon,

I fear that the train doesn't go anywhere near Trat , so that you really will have to bus it. Buriram to Chantaburi to Trat by bus is a pretty straight shot however, so it shouldn't be too bad.

There is a map of the rail routes in Thailand on this link:

http://www.travelfish.org/maps/region/thailand-railway-map.gif

#4 Posted: 22/1/2009 - 07:51

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

Sawadee Krap Kun Exacto! :)

I guess that the train is out of the question so it would have to be bus.

Thing is we are going to have a baby so don't want to do all the waiting for different buses and try to minimise hassel (difficult in thailand i know.

I think we are going to skip koh chang this time and check out Hua Hin and Cha am for now as I haven't been there before.

Just trying to vist somewhere I haven't been in Thailand while visting the in-laws.

Anyway, thanks for the info people.

#5 Posted: 22/1/2009 - 20:49

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Dear Jon,

Congratulations on the forthcoming Jon_Mak_Mak Jr! Given the situation, I can definitely see why you would want to have a smooth and simple trip.

Hua Hin and Cha Am are solid destinations, so your second choice is still pretty great. They have a laid back and friendly reputation, miles of wide beaches, and lots of good restaurants. They are a nice family destination too. I wish I were there right now! (Plus, you can take the train.)

But if you were still keen to visit Ko Chang, you might try taking the train from Buriram to Bangkok, and then the bus from there to Trat. It isn't as direct, but it is more straight-forward, if you know what I mean. There is also a Bangkok Airways flight from BKK to Trat, but given the Jon_Mak_Mak name, I don't know if that is in the budget or not.

Have a good visit. Cheers.

#6 Posted: 23/1/2009 - 05:31

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

J-M-M

I did that journey by rent-a-car 2 years ago. Well worthwhile.

If you can get there, Ko Chang is also worthwhile.

I'm assuming you'll be at Nang Rong because you'll be visiting Phanom Rung. If so, try to get to Prasat Meuang Tam. For me, the latter was much more 'special'. Cleaner, less tourists, more ambience, etc. etc.

As the distance from Nang Rong to Trat is not inconsequential, and the same can be said for Trat to Ko Chang, to my way of thinking (esp. with a future prodigy) a rent-a-car may be a good investment.

The trip back to BKK from Chantaburi is 'ordinary' and so a car makes it easier.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 23/1/2009 - 08:13

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks exacto, I think we are going to go to Cha am now becuase its going to be easier and its also somewhere I haven't been yet so I can tick it off my list! :)

Brucemoon - I will actually be in Non Suwan where my in-laws live but Nang Rong is just up the road.

I have been to Prasat muang Tam, Khao Phanom Rung and the Ancient Kiln before. Would also recommend the first 2 but the latter is not worth the long, difficult drive unless you really have time on your hands (as I did) which in that case, the drive through the little villages to get there is pretty cool.

I do actually like to rent a car, I have driven from bangkok Airport to Kanchanaburi before and really enjoyed that drive, especially around K-buri. I also use the father-in-laws pick-up truck when im in Buriram but can't take that with me as they need it too. lol.

So I think after much thought im deff gonna go to Cha Am and Hua Hin. Now expect some questions on those places! :)

Thanks,
    Ant.

#8 Posted: 24/1/2009 - 19:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.