Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Laos&Thailand islands in one month

• erzo

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2008

Hi there!

I'm writtin you again just before leaving (in monday!). I didn't really made a big itinerary but it is something. All I want is adventure, see new different places and go somewhere peaceful with relaxing round up in Thai's islands...

It goes something like this:
    Bangkok 3 days --> Chiang Mai -->Huay Xay border crossing (Laos) and then to Bokeo w/ 3 day trekking (Gibbon Experience) --> Luang Prabag --> Vientiane --> 4000 islands --> Thailand Islands (7-10 days) --> Bangkok

Roughly that would be the plan. I would really like to see south Laos but I'm wondering if 1 month is enough to see it all in relaxing way? Planes don't help me since there is no airport in south Laos, correct?

What do you think?
    Thanks for comments/help!

#1 Posted: 22/1/2009 - 02:16

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi erzo,

I reckon you could manage that in a month -- I've seen far more rushed itineraries than that.

#2 Posted: 22/1/2009 - 07:17

• erzo

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2008

somtam2000, thanks for reply, btw what do you think about this route i'm going to take?

I have another question:
    do you think I have to take Malaria pills when visiting Bokeo? If yes can I buy them in Bangkok and which?

#3 Posted: 22/1/2009 - 18:22

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

There is an airport in Pakse.

#4 Posted: 23/1/2009 - 01:00

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

erzo,

with about three days in each destination and a week or so at the end for the beach, you'll definitely be moving, but your itin is workable.

there are also a few tips you can use to save time along the way. the most important, as tilapia already mentioned, would be to fly to pakse from vientiane. lao airways offers at least one daily flight.

another great way to save time is via the overnight sleeper train in thailand. you could use that to get from bangkok to chiang mai, and then again from ubon back to bangkok and on your way back from southern laos.

depending on which thai islands you'll be visiting, you could either take the overnight sleeper train again to a southern destination, or you could look into one of the budget airlines for getting down south.

just those flight & trains could save you the equivalent of three to five days of time for lazing on the beach. have fun.

#5 Posted: 23/1/2009 - 03:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
best accomodation option with kids on 3 month trip to thailand (islands) ... By ruthc on 25 Aug 2012 0 915 25 Aug 2012