Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Best route to take from Thailand to Laos, Vietnam etc..?

Posted by luce_uk on 23/1/2009 at 04:44

Hi All

I am looking for a little advice here from all you knowleddgable people. I am planning on coming to Thailand later in the year, will be flying in from Bali..i am going to either obtain my 60 day visa in Bali (if this is even possible?) if not then i will have to get it in Darwin (where i will be before Bali) anyway..so i am planning to travel in Thailand for 60 days, then extend the visa to 90 days then i want to visit Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. My question is, what is the best route to take considering i want to do all 3? I also have to take visas into account again, where and when and how to get these?! As i think Vietnam you have to get the visa before arrival, as its not possible to get on arrival, etc? I would like to do some travel overland if possible to save on costs. I also want to end up in Phon Penh so i can get another visa for Thailand and re-enter after ive visited these 3 countries ( i heard you can get a 120 day visa here? ) Anyway, sorry for the real long post, but if anyone can figure out what im babbling about then plesae try and give me some input!!

Thanks very very much !

#1 luce_uk has been a member since 23/1/2009. Posts: 19

Posted by brucemoon on 23/1/2009 at 08:24

luce-uk

You don't actually say how long you have for this trip. Or, the sorts of things you want to see/do along the way.

I'm assuming you're entry/exit is BKK, and that is fixed. If not, then I'd suggest you go Bali, KL, SGN (Air Asia) then overland bus or boat via Mekong to Phnom Penh. Then to Sien Reap (bus maybe best) then bus to Vientiane, and on through to Luang Prabang. Then, either overland or by Mekong boat to Huay Xia, wherein you can enter Thailand at Chiang Khong and bus it to Chiang mai, before heading down to BKK, etc.

Alternatively, do BKK (and surround) then fly to SGN to commence same route (check out www.airninja.com for budget carriers).

If the BKK isn't fixed, then 'do' Thailand, and head to Loas/Cambodia/VN and fly home )or next destination) from VN.

So much to see, so much to do, and so little time...

cheers

#2 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.