Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Best route to take from Thailand to Laos, Vietnam etc..?

• luce_uk

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2009

Hi All

I am looking for a little advice here from all you knowleddgable people. I am planning on coming to Thailand later in the year, will be flying in from Bali..i am going to either obtain my 60 day visa in Bali (if this is even possible?) if not then i will have to get it in Darwin (where i will be before Bali) anyway..so i am planning to travel in Thailand for 60 days, then extend the visa to 90 days then i want to visit Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. My question is, what is the best route to take considering i want to do all 3? I also have to take visas into account again, where and when and how to get these?! As i think Vietnam you have to get the visa before arrival, as its not possible to get on arrival, etc? I would like to do some travel overland if possible to save on costs. I also want to end up in Phon Penh so i can get another visa for Thailand and re-enter after ive visited these 3 countries ( i heard you can get a 120 day visa here? ) Anyway, sorry for the real long post, but if anyone can figure out what im babbling about then plesae try and give me some input!!

Thanks very very much !

#1 Posted: 23/1/2009 - 04:44

• Advertisement

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

luce-uk

You don't actually say how long you have for this trip. Or, the sorts of things you want to see/do along the way.

I'm assuming you're entry/exit is BKK, and that is fixed. If not, then I'd suggest you go Bali, KL, SGN (Air Asia) then overland bus or boat via Mekong to Phnom Penh. Then to Sien Reap (bus maybe best) then bus to Vientiane, and on through to Luang Prabang. Then, either overland or by Mekong boat to Huay Xia, wherein you can enter Thailand at Chiang Khong and bus it to Chiang mai, before heading down to BKK, etc.

Alternatively, do BKK (and surround) then fly to SGN to commence same route (check out www.airninja.com for budget carriers).

If the BKK isn't fixed, then 'do' Thailand, and head to Loas/Cambodia/VN and fly home )or next destination) from VN.

So much to see, so much to do, and so little time...

cheers

#2 Posted: 23/1/2009 - 08:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Best route around Thailand/Laos/Vietnam ... By jan_ice on 17 Mar 2006 1 3291 17 Mar 2006
Best route to take from the UK visiting Thailand, Laos, Vietnam then Oz?? ... By DayDreamer86 on 2 Feb 2012 1 1825 2 Feb 2012
What is the best route and best deal from Manila to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand? ... By mingkoy on 16 Feb 2009 1 2806 16 Feb 2009
Order of route through Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam... how best to end the trip? ... By estelle8 on 3 Aug 2010 3 7959 15 Aug 2010
Travel route advice please! Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam / Laos ... By IndiaGabrielle on 14 Jun 2013 3 3769 15 Jun 2013
What the best route to visit Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand from Manila? ... By mingkoy on 16 Feb 2009 10 14542 29 Aug 2010
Thailand-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Malaysia- 3 1/2 months...NEED HELP With a guidline Route?????!! ... By kgroarke on 12 Feb 2011 3 5668 1 Mar 2011
3 month route through Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos - constructive criticism wanted! ... By kmc on 30 May 2011 5 6239 1 Aug 2011