Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Travelling for 2 months - Recommendations?

• luchy1309

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009
    Total reviews: 7

I'm planning to take a trip to Thailand and nearby countries for 2 months or more.

Anyone could please give me advice on where to start?
    - I would like to go to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, and if recommended Singapore and Malysia.
    - To which Island in Thailand?
    - Where first, then where to?

The trip will start in the beginning of June.

We're a couple.

Thank you!

Lucia

#1 Posted: 30/1/2009 - 04:49

• Advertisement

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

I would start in Bangkok and end there. If your intention was to fly one way to Thailand and one way out from a different country check the prices for those flights. Often one way flights are just as expensive as a round trip. You can purchase flights to other countries when you are in Bangkok pretty easy.

In Bangkok you can get tours through travel agencies. There are lots of travel agencies in Thailand, find a tour the day you arrive and leave the following morning. Tour companies will pick you up at your hotel and return you there at the end of the trip.

Transportation is pretty reasonable in Thailand. There are long distance buses, trains, discount airlines (some weight allowance restrictions,) and meter taxi cabs in Bangkok. Only pay the meter charge for Bangkok taxi cabs, if you bargain the fare you pay more!

From Thailand it is easy to get to Cambodia and Laos overland if you want. You can even take a train from Bangkok all the way to Malaysia and from there to Singapore if you want. When I went to Vietnam I flew there from Bangkok. I would try to see Chiang Mai while you are in Thailand. You could hit Phuket on the way to Malaysia if you want. Check out a map and plan your moves.

Consider your visa requirements. If you are from the US, UK, OZ, NZ, Canada you will get a free 30 day permission to stay in Thailand stamp in your passport on arrival at the airport. For Malaysia and Singapore you won't have a problem there either for free entry. If you are from another country check the visa requirements. For VN, Cambodia and Laos you will have to pay for a visa. Check their requirements for entry. Often in Bangkok you can get a visa through their embassies. You will probably need photos too, get them in Bangkok if you don't need them at home.

Plan on flying out of Bangkok when you leave for home. If you arrive at a land immigration checkpoint you only get a free 15 days permit. Fly in you get 30 days (depending on the passport you travel under of course.)

If you ever need recommendations for hotels in particular cities mention how much you want to pay - don't use cheap or medium priced - use a dollar or local currency figure.

June will have a little more rain than November - February. For Thailand usually the rain will not last all day and you will have the sun come out again. Hotels will be cheaper in many places compared to December - January.

Have a nice trip.

#2 Posted: 30/1/2009 - 05:29

• luchy1309

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009
    Total reviews: 7

thank you so much for your advice, I will definitely do as you say. Regarding beaches, are there any ones that would be a must to go?

#3 Posted: 30/1/2009 - 06:06

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

In 2 months you could cover about 1/3 of thailand.

Personally don't like Malaysia or Singapore that much and the very corrupt Cambodia I wouldnt recommend at all.

I would just do laos and thailand.

#4 Posted: 30/1/2009 - 08:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.