Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

train form Bangkok to Surat Thani ( Kr- how to book?

• knot01

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2009

hi, I want to book a night sleeper on this route, any recommendation? Is there any www I can safely book train tickets for above route?

#1 Posted: 31/1/2009 - 19:25

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi, This question comes up all the time. If your do a search on Travelfish you could find all the info you need.

The short anwser tho is yes. You can book a night-train ticket online and also from travel agents in Bangkok. You can also get a combined ticket with a ferry too if your going to Samui.

#2 Posted: 1/2/2009 - 00:33

• knot01

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2009

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply, I just did want to know if booking throught these www's is safe, also do I need advanced booking if I want to go form Bangkok to Krabi in March ( 10 -11 March)??? Is it still peak season?
    Or Is it OK to book train tickets just 2 -3 days before departure?

#3 Posted: 1/2/2009 - 02:45

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

Hi.

March isn't the high season and its getting into low season because the thai summer is coming and its very hot. (apart from the Thai new year 12th, 13th, 14th, 15, of April)

I think in March you should be fine to book a few days before you go. If you are going to krabi you basically have 4 options:

1. A private tour bus - this i don't really recommend myself from experience but I have done it a few times and it can be OK. I just don't like to be horded around like sheep! lol :)

2. The thai government bus - This is the bus option I would take. Its travellling with the Thais and a few travels that know the score.

3 The Train - Like you mention, a train from Bangkok is an option and is pretty fun too. Thailands trains are the safest but slowest option I think. Get a first class cabin if there is 2 or 4 of you. Otherwise 2nd class sleeper might be better as your all in together.

4 Fly! - Flying with air asia is a great time saver and is actually really cheap and you can fly straight to krabi airport and get a taxi to your hotel.

So to sum up, I think dont bother booking online and have fun!

:)

#4 Posted: 1/2/2009 - 06:11

• knot01

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2009

thanks for all your informations!!! really helpful!
    We are going to book the train when in Bangkok.
    We are thinking not to take any jabs as this is only a waist of money. Do you think? There is so many different opinions, our GP says it is not necessary,but ...
    whats your expert opinion?

#5 Posted: 4/2/2009 - 01:53

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

Hi, Glad to be of assistance! :)

As for the Jabs - If you mean vaccinations, I would recommend you at least get the Hepatitis shots, in fact, I would get all the vaccinations but I wouldn't bother with marliria myself. (Unless your sleeping naked in the jungle on the boarders of Cambodia or Burma)

But hey, im no doctor so seek a doctors advise!

;)

Check this link - http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/travel/asia/thailand.shtml

#6 Posted: 4/2/2009 - 22:40

• knot01

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2009

thanks again,
    we will take a risk as it is too late for a vacinnations, we are going
    in 4 weeks time. Is it going to be very hot alredy? I guess it will be.
    How much will charge us if we want to exchange the money? How much do they charge if you take money out of ATM??
    Looks like you are permanent resident in Thailand so you should know.
    thanks in advance for all your help and advise.
    cheers

#7 Posted: 6/2/2009 - 04:18

• kahrani

Joined Travelfish
    2nd October, 2008

I was looking on Seat 61 to find out how to book a train from Bangkok to Nong Khai and discovered that State Thai railways have just launched a new online booking website:

http://www.thairailwayticket.com/

I booked my ticket no problem - it comes up with a pdf ticket to print off. I assume I just take this to the train station - unfortunately alot of the website is only in thai so I'm not entirely sure. You have to register on the site and it saves your bookings. Seems like a pretty good way of booking tickets from abroad, whilst avoiding expensive agent fees.

#8 Posted: 6/2/2009 - 18:15

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

#7 Posted: 6/2/2009 - 04:18

thanks again,
    we will take a risk as it is too late for a vacinnations, we are going
    in 4 weeks time. Is it going to be very hot alredy? I guess it will be.
    How much will charge us if we want to exchange the money? How much do they charge if you take money out of ATM??
    Looks like you are permanent resident in Thailand so you should know.
    thanks in advance for all your help and advise.
    cheers

--------------

Hi.

I would reconsider getting the jabs but thats upto you!

I would recommend changing your money in Thailand. If your are going to Bangkok there are loads of Banks where you can change mony. How you get the money their is a diffferent story. ATM charges will be by your bank so you need to check with them. (Nationwide don't charge btw,)

It is always HOT in Thailand if you want my opinion. But it wont be the hottest yet, April could be quite a bit hotter i think.

Ant. :)

#9 Posted: 9/2/2009 - 05:20

• knot01

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2009

thanks again,!!!
    You are a star!
    Is there a problem to get from Surat Thani to Railay Beach??? We will be going there with the night sleeper, so looking to catch a bus in the morning. Then a boat from Krabi to Railay.
    Did you ever try that way?
    cheers

#10 Posted: 10/2/2009 - 04:53

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

Hi, I haven't gone from Surat thani to Krabi so Im afraid I can't help you there. :(

If Surat Thani has a government bus station (which it should have) you should be able to get a bus to krabi town. Then you just have to get to Railay beach.

#11 Posted: 10/2/2009 - 23:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Train from Surat Thani to Bangkok ... By BrumbyJack on 4 Dec 2012 4 2141 7 Dec 2012
Train from Bangkok to Surat Thani ... By supernickymoreton on 20 Jan 2009 7 16112 28 Dec 2009
Overnight train from Surat Thani to Bangkok ... By BrumbyJack on 5 Jan 2013 7 6626 7 Jan 2013
Night train from Bangkok to Surat Thani then ferry to Ko Phangan and on to Koh Tao ... By mejulie on 8 Dec 2012 1 2022 10 Dec 2012
Surat Thani (SW Thailand) - Singapore by train ... By tinamars2000 on 21 Feb 2008 2 5259 11 Jun 2008
best way to go from surat thani to malaysia? train/bus or plane ... By matimulinaris on 22 Aug 2009 2 9111 23 Aug 2009
Train from surat thani to ratchaburi (ban pong) ... By thaitrip11 on 11 Jun 2011 3 2548 11 Jun 2011
Koh samui via Surat thani train station - WARNING FOR INDEPENDENT TRAVELLERS! ... By johnno on 7 Jan 2010 2 12964 18 Mar 2013
Bangkok to Surat Thani ... By greenman42 on 17 Dec 2009 3 3837 18 Dec 2009
Bangkok or Surat Thani ... By donadoni on 18 Dec 2011 5 1054 19 Dec 2011