Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Phuket, Koh Samui, Koh Phangan

• LeeF

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2009

Hey,
    Im planning a trip to Thailand around July/August time. The main point of the trip is to attend the Full Moon Party in August but we will be travelling around before and after! Im just wondering if anyone has any advice on Phuket, Koh Samui, at this time of year, busy? not too wet? I know its not peak season but will it still be lively?
    Anyone else travelling to the Full Moon Party in August?

#1 Posted: 3/2/2009 - 09:15

• Advertisement

• travelrock

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2008
    Total reviews: 18

Travelling all that way for a shiit party on the beach. Now that's funny.

There are far better things to do like snorkelling, visiting national parks, caves, crystal lagoons etc

But you are going to a beach party with 4000 guys and few women. Those parties are cr#p. Trashing a good beach with rubbish and listening to bad music.

"Anyone else travelling to the Full Moon Party in August?"

only a few thousand other knobs

#2 Posted: 3/2/2009 - 21:55

• cubedweller

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2008

Pay no attention to travelrock; he's the forum's resident jerk.

To answer your questions: I'm not sure if I've been to the FMP in August, but I definitely have in July and the weather was fine. Even though June-July-August are not considered to be 'busy,' I've always found there to be tons of people around this time.

The few times I've been to the FMP were a blast just make sure to use caution and good judgment.

#3 Posted: 3/2/2009 - 23:14

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

hi lee,

the weather should be fine. that's definitely rainy season for most of the rest of the country, but the rains don't typically get started on the gulf side until october.

there is also an article on getting a room for the full moon party that you might wish to read. link is below.

have a good time. cheers.

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/45

#4 Posted: 4/2/2009 - 01:13

• LeeF

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2009

Im not going all that way just for a 'shit' party on a beach, its the point in the trip where we're meeting up with some other friends that will be in Thailand at the time, ill be sure to fit all the other stuff in during my time in Thailand Travelrock.

Cubedweller and exacto, cheers for the advice!

#5 Posted: 4/2/2009 - 06:49

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

lee,

you don't need to explain yourself to anyone. besides, even if you were travelling all the way to thailand for the FMP, it would still be awesome. when you mix it in with all the other stuff you and your friends will do doing, it is even better. have a great time and enjoy a singha or three for me. cheers.

#6 Posted: 4/2/2009 - 08:25

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hey, LeeF.

Like stated above - please dont listen to TravelCock. He's the only nob round here mate.

Anyway, If your going to the FMP (which is a great laugh btw) you might be better off staying in Samui so your not too far like Phuket is.

Have fun, Wish i was coming!

#7 Posted: 4/2/2009 - 21:56

• LeeF

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2009

Yeah i think the weeks leading up to FMP in Phuket, then over to Samui a few days before and take it from there! After the FMP who knows, id quite like to get to Vietnam.

Cheers all.

#8 Posted: 5/2/2009 - 09:32

• Isobel_123

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2008

TravelCock bahahahaha
    good one jon

#9 Posted: 5/2/2009 - 09:49

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

There's only one person who can decide whether the FMP is worthwhile - you. Personally, I'm glad I have experienced it, although I'm not a party/rave type.
    Samui/Phangan/Tao has a different wet season - normally Oct into Jan - this means there is a secondary high season from late June to the end of August as Europe holidays.
    Phuket is normally in wet season at that time, but usually there is plenty of sunshine for a good holiday, plus some really great bargains in low season accommodation. I'm a weather nerd and try to avoid bad times, but for what it's worth, Lady Tezza and I are going to be on Phuket/Samui/Phangan this August.
    I've holidayed both areas plenty of times previous July/Augusts.

#10 Posted: 5/2/2009 - 14:58

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phuket or Koh Samui & Phangan in July 2013 ... By mink5 on 17 Jun 2013 7 2523 21 Jun 2013