Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Visa or plane ticket first?

• cubedweller

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2008

I'll be in Thailand (and possibly the surrounding countries) for about 2 months starting in March. I've yet to buy my plane ticket but was going to do so soon. My dilema is, with only given a 30 day visa on arrival, I will need to apply for a 90-day multiple entry tourist visa (just in case I decide to leave and travel without having to worry about the 15 day pass) before setting off.

Should I just go ahead and buy the plane ticket and then head to the Thai Consulate in order to arrange my Visa? Or should I arrange the visa first and then purchase the ticket?

I'd love to avoid going to the consulate at all (I've never had to in the past) but these new visa limits are horrible.

Thanks for the help!

#1 Posted: 3/2/2009 - 23:23

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey cube,

i don't know where you are located, but i'm within the consular district for the Royal Thai Consulate in Los Angeles. according to their website, you need to provide a copy of your airline ticket or confirmed e-ticket (and not just an itinerary) as part of your visa application. so, if that is true, i think your question is answered for you.

the new limits are a bummer and seem to be an over-reaction to those few folks who were milking the old system.

hope that helps. cheers.

#2 Posted: 4/2/2009 - 01:04

• cubedweller

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2008

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Los Angeles as well. I've never actually applied for a visa before, but I'm assuming it's a pretty simple process.

#3 Posted: 4/2/2009 - 01:51

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey cube,

i think it is pretty straight forward, although there is an element of "officialdom" in the process.

since you are in LA, i'm guessing that you have a US Passport? if that is true, then i don't think the airline ticket requirement i mentioned above applies to you. so in that case, i think you could either get the ticket or the visa first. i think i'd get the ticket first anyway. that's what i plan to do for my trip in december. regards.

in case you want it, the link at the RTC-LA for visas for US passports is:

http://www.thai-la.net/visa/visa-tourist-us.htm

#4 Posted: 4/2/2009 - 03:41

• cubedweller

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2008

Thanks exacto! One more question: if I go to the Consulate in person to apply for my visa, do I have to leave my passport with them? I hate the thought of leaving it and having it get lost in the mail so close to the trip date; how do others deal with this hassle?

#5 Posted: 4/2/2009 - 04:40

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hola! yes, if you go to the consulate you'll need to leave your passport for at least one day. unfortunately there isn't any same day service that i can tell. i'm not thrilled when i have to mail or leave my passport either, but that's just the way it is sometimes.

it sounds like you can make the trip in person, which should at least reduce the pucker factor as well as avoid the extra cost of mailing.
    i think in LA you can drop off your passport with the application and then pick it up in person the next day.

i'd be interested to hear how it goes too. thanks and good luck.

#6 Posted: 4/2/2009 - 08:09

• cubedweller

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2008

Hi! So I purchased my plane ticket last night; I'll be leaving on 3/8 :) Should I go ahead and get the visa ASAP or should I wait closer to the departure date?

#7 Posted: 4/2/2009 - 23:10

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

sounds like fun.

unless there is a chance you'll be delayed, you can go ahead and apply now. according to the RTC-LA, visas expire 90 days from the time of issue, meaning that you have up to 90 days to enter Thailand. the 60 days or however long your visa is issued for your stay begins once you enter Thailand. here's what the RTC-LA website says:

You may apply for the visa no earlier than 90 days from when you plan to enter Thailand. As the visa will expire in 90 days from the date of issue (six months if two entries are issued) you do not want to apply too early. Also, allow enough time for the visa to be issued (two business days if applying in person or ten days - not including mailing time - if applying by mail).

#8 Posted: 5/2/2009 - 02:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Plane Ticket ... By andysch on 7 Apr 2008 4 3002 17 Apr 2008
When is a good time to buy my plane ticket? ... By molocono on 2 Oct 2010 9 3480 30 Mar 2012