Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

thailand beaches in june

• kimcrossley

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

We're planning to revisit Bangkok, then a southern island, in late June...possibly Phuket since we haven't been back post-tsunami. I've been reading that many of the Phuket beaches are "unswimmable" that time of year. Is there a better island for us to visit where the beach would be nice in June? We did Krabi in June '04 and were very disappointed - water was 'muddy' and waves were unmanageable. We'd like to avoid that this time.

#1 Posted: 5/2/2009 - 08:42

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Kim, the southern Gulf islands tend to have a different wet season - normally Oct into Jan - so if you want minimum rain Samui/Phangan/Tao is the go.
    Normally the Andaman is not out of the question - I've holidayed there mid-year quite a few times and got enough sunshine and good beach conditions to make for a nice stay>
    Safest in the Andaman is to head for an east-facing beach which tends to be sheltered from the prevailing westerlies - on Phuket I've had nice conditions at Cape Panwa (got a few shots and more info in the link below) and on Phi Phi the laid back east coast has some gems like Ao Toh Koh and Ao Poh (budget), Relax Resort (flashpacker) and Loh Bakeo and Laem Tong (midrange and high-end). I've got a bit about these and TRAVELFISH is very good, particularly the $3 guide to Phi Phi.
    Having said that, I've also spent time on the more exposed west facing coast of Phuket wet season - some days are similar to what you describe from Krabi, but more have been pretty sweet.

#2 Posted: 5/2/2009 - 15:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.