Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Where to stay last night, close to Suan Lum

• amz155

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2006

On our last day in Bangkok, we will be coming from the Suvarnabhumi Airport (back from Krabi) and will need a place to stay for one night.

On our last night we would like to visit Suan Lum Night Bazar if its still open at the time. The next morning we fly home. Most likely we will be at Suan Lum until late and will need to take a taxi back to our hotel.

Where should we stay:

-that is either a safe quick walk back to hotel or a cheap metered cab ride from Suan Lum to hotel

AND

-is convenient considering we are coming FROM the airport on Firday afternoon and heading back to the airport on Saturday morning?

Sathorn? Siam Square?

Looking for something clean, safe, in the 600 baht range or LESS! We are only there for one night so not too concerned with what it looks like as long as its safe.

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 5/2/2009 - 10:04

• Advertisement

• amz155

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2006

bump.

anyone?

#2 Posted: 7/2/2009 - 01:29

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi amz155,

Just back from Bangkok and still collating my notes, but a few thoughts -- the number one determinant is your price ceiling of 600B. Taking that into account, I'd say your best choice is either Wendy House on Soi Kasem San (so near MBK and Siam Square) OR picking one of the budget places down on Soi Ngam Dupli -- Sala Thai Daily mansion is the best of a very average lot.

If you can up your budget to the 1,000B mark I could recommend quite a few new places -- I found between 20 & 30 new properties I'm about to add into the site, but most are over 600B.

If you stay around Ngam Dupli, you're walking distance from the market, if at Wendy House it is either a walk and syktrain ride or a cab ride.

Friday afternoon coming from the airport -- ahh doesn't matter where you'll be the traffic will be awful!

Hope that helps!

#3 Posted: 7/2/2009 - 18:22

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

that 600 baht ceiling for accommodation stumped me too. i can't think of any place i'd recommend - or want to stay - in the lumpini park area for that little.

the good news is that the market is more or less right on the subway, so that might open up the available areas where you can stay.

personally, i'd likely just stay out near the airport that night and commute into town for the market. it is for such a short time, and it will be easier getting in and out without having to take your pack/luggage with you. cheers.

#4 Posted: 7/2/2009 - 21:44

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry, just a correction on my post above, I meant to say White Lodge on Soi Kasem San (which is under 600B) not Wendy House (which is over 1,000B).

Anyway I've updated the Kasem San listings here

#5 Posted: 8/2/2009 - 11:41

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hey Somtam, Would be great to edit our posts, no?! lol :)

It's funny because the 600B for around Silom/Sathorn area threw me too.
    There is a cheap guest house on a soi off the RAMA (can't remember which one, 4?) road the goes past silom and into Satorn. Its not far from the Malaysia Hotel. I have stayed there before but I don't think it's listed on this site yet but im sure its on Asiarooms.com. I think the name is Charlie Guest House or somthing like that.

I remember it is cheap and not far from Suan Lum. It's actually pretty close to the Lumphini boxing stadium (over sode of road). Might be worth searching anyway.

Goodluck!
    Ant.

#6 Posted: 9/2/2009 - 05:10

• amz155

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2006

Thanks for your suggestions.

I realized I didn't say so in my original post but I was considering Suk 11. Mainly because that's where I stayed last time on my last night in BKK. Not sure how convenient that is for getting to the airport in the morning but we have a 6:40am flight so I'm not too worried about traffic at that time.

As for relying on the skytrain to get back at the end of the night; I'm pretty much sure we wills tay late i.e. beyond skytrain hours. That's why I was asking for a place that's either in walking distance or a cheap cab ride away bc we probably wont' be able to take the skytrain.

I checke dout Charlie Guesthouse. Its on Soi Saphan Khu and seems to be in walking distance on Suan Lum. At 540 baht for a double its def in the budget.

exacto, you do bring up a good point about just staying near the airport and then grabbing a taxi into town to visit Suan Lum. It does put us closer to the airport in the AM (which I"m not owrried about traffic for a 6:40 am flight) and also does let us avoid having to be stuck in traffic heading into the city after we arrive from Krabi.

I guess I'm thinking that we'd fly in from Krabi, cab it to Charlie's Guesthouse (or wherever we decide), drop our bags and head right out to Suan Lum to spend the rest of the day. Prob relax with a few beers in the beer garden before dinner and before the market opens up. Then its light shopping and beer till the market closes. At least if we bunk in the city and we stil have energy left we can cab it to a good late night walking street to people watch for a few hours till we catch a quick nap at the hotel and off to the airport we go!

#7 Posted: 10/2/2009 - 00:57

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

sounds like a good plan and a great day. plus beer! have fun.

#8 Posted: 10/2/2009 - 03:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Suan Lum Night Market is it still there? ... By kkswan on 23 Jul 2009 4 1617 24 Jul 2009
6 months stay in SE Asia close to the beach ... By prisonbreak on 19 Dec 2013 2 815 19 Dec 2013
Where to stay close to the full moon party ... By TRENTA on 29 Aug 2006 1 1227 1 Sep 2006
Best place to stay close to the train station? ... By caseyrebecca on 27 Apr 2008 2 5740 20 Mar 2009