Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok to Southern Islands

• TheGoose

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009

Hi,

I was just wondering, what would be the best island to head to first from Bangkok? In terns of cost and journey length. I can't afford flights so will be travelling over ground on public transport.

I also intend to do a spot of island hopping whilst down there.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 5/2/2009 - 18:49

• Advertisement

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Just to the tour companies, shop around a little if you need to, and book your bus ticket. Where to go depends on your preferences and goals (see islands section). Samui is a good starting point in my opinion. Some people hate it because its so touristy, but I am enjoying the diving and western food at least.

I flew from Bangkok to Samui for like $100 but met girls who took the bus and had no problems with it.

#2 Posted: 6/2/2009 - 19:46

• TheGoose

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009

Thanks for that.

I've been looking into it and the train to Surat Thani seems a decent option (better than being stuck on a bus as you can walk around) anyone used the train??

#3 Posted: 7/2/2009 - 16:31

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Yes, I have used the train a few times from Bangkok to Surat Thani, Chiang Mai, Nong kai, Ayutthaya ect...

Any specific questions?

:)

#4 Posted: 9/2/2009 - 05:14

• simonmobile-
    disco

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2009

Surat Thani to chang mai on Bus, is that just to painful to contemplate?

#5 Posted: 9/2/2009 - 21:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Advice needed...Bangkok, Chang Mai, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, southern Thai islands... ... By sunshine87 on 24 Jun 2008 41 12541 15 Jul 2008