Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Bangkok to Southern Islands

Posted by TheGoose on 5/2/2009 at 18:49

Hi,

I was just wondering, what would be the best island to head to first from Bangkok? In terns of cost and journey length. I can't afford flights so will be travelling over ground on public transport.

I also intend to do a spot of island hopping whilst down there.

Thanks

#1 TheGoose has been a member since 30/1/2009. Posts: 29

Posted by mattocmd on 6/2/2009 at 19:46

Just to the tour companies, shop around a little if you need to, and book your bus ticket. Where to go depends on your preferences and goals (see islands section). Samui is a good starting point in my opinion. Some people hate it because its so touristy, but I am enjoying the diving and western food at least.

I flew from Bangkok to Samui for like $100 but met girls who took the bus and had no problems with it.

#2 mattocmd has been a member since 13/6/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 365

Posted by TheGoose on 7/2/2009 at 16:31

Thanks for that.

I've been looking into it and the train to Surat Thani seems a decent option (better than being stuck on a bus as you can walk around) anyone used the train??

#3 TheGoose has been a member since 30/1/2009. Posts: 29

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 9/2/2009 at 05:14

Yes, I have used the train a few times from Bangkok to Surat Thani, Chiang Mai, Nong kai, Ayutthaya ect...

Any specific questions?

:)

#4 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Posted by simonmobiledisco on 9/2/2009 at 21:43

Surat Thani to chang mai on Bus, is that just to painful to contemplate?

#5 simonmobiledisco has been a member since 16/1/2009. Posts: 19

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.