Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Want to wake up surrounded by rice paddies

• jBird

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2009

We will be in Thailand, Laos and Vietnam for 2 months starting in May 2009. Where is the best place to wake up surrounded by rice paddies. Don’t mind roughing it a bit, though wife wouldn't be to keen on staying somewhere with critters IN the room.

As always, thanks!

#1 Posted: 9/2/2009 - 22:15

• Advertisement

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

Bit hard that one.If you want to wake up surrounded by rice paddies you obviously have to stay out in the country and out in the country there is'nt too many hotels,guesthouses etc.Probably the best way to do this is to find a homestay.Stayed at a really good one at Sena,not far from Ayuttiah.It is situated on the river but there are rice paddies at the back of the house although they were flooded when we were there.There is an article on the home page of this site about the place.Failing this you can probably try a Travel agent in Thailand.

#2 Posted: 10/2/2009 - 13:44

• Husko

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2007

overnight hike oout of Sapa. Spend the night in a local(ish) village - not too rough. Rice paddies as far as the eye can see and the veiws are spectacular

#3 Posted: 10/2/2009 - 15:11

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

a homestay on the Mekong island Don Kho (Champasak Province, Laos) just might fit the bill, rice paddies everywhere:
    www.travelfish.org/sights/laos/southern_laos/champasak/pakse

Fern Resort, near Mae Hong Son, Thailand, is in a very lovely setting, with bungalows built on rice paddies:
    www.fernresort.info/rooms.php

#4 Posted: 10/2/2009 - 20:32

• jBird

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2009

Thanks for all the options...

Husko -- any particular tour company or villages in Sapa?

#5 Posted: 11/2/2009 - 02:01

• Husko

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2007

I booked a tour from Hanoi. There were 4 of us and it was o'night train then bus to Sapa . 1 day trek into the valley and stopped o'night in a village organised by tour. There were other groups who stayed the night there as well. Next day was trek out of valley and back to Sapa via different route and old russian jeep. Not sure who it was booked through - it was also 2004. So not sure of latest info but I am sure it will be easy to book in Hanoi. Only thing I am sure of is the "waking up in the paddies" bit and no "critters" in room. I am from Oz, so a few critters are normal.

#6 Posted: 11/2/2009 - 14:56

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Well I wake up next to rice paddies every day. Agree with the cunnig one - come to Lao.

#7 Posted: 11/2/2009 - 15:11

• jBird

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2009

Rufus/CunningMcFar - We only have 10 days in Laos. Doing the slow boat to Luang Prabang, then maybe up to Nong Kiaow , flying out of LP to Hanoi.

Should I try and find someplace in Northern Laos (where I can sleep with the paddies) or skip Nong Kiaow and go down to Don Kho?

More important question... is the country pronounced Laos or Laos?

#8 Posted: 11/2/2009 - 20:26

• jBird

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2009

ehem... meant to ask: Lao or Laos?

#9 Posted: 11/2/2009 - 20:30

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

have not spent much time in Northern Laos, just a visit to LP a few yrs ago, so cannot directly speak to the rice paddy homestay question in the region. But I imagine it would not be difficult to find what you seek, perhaps post a question on the Laos board here on TravelFish.

we recently spent a couple of weeks around Champasak Province and loved it; homestays seemed easy to sort out and there are plenty of opportunities for day trips and overnight trekking.

#10 Posted: 11/2/2009 - 23:55

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Champassak is lovely and you could certainly wake up next to the paddies there.
    Re Laos or Lao - the French added the "s". It seems now that the country and people are called Lao and the adjective is Laos. You get varied answers even from the Lao poeple thmeselves.

#11 Posted: 12/2/2009 - 13:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.