Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Travelling to Thailand in July

Posted by IanB on 10/2/2009 at 00:54

Hiya

I was thinking of visiting Southern Thailand on my honeymoon for a couple of weeks. However everything i have read suggests that it is likely to be the rainy season. I was wondering am i going to be rained on for two weeks and not have any nice weather.

In addition to this can anyone reccommend a good hotel/resort in the south poss Krabi/Phuket.

Cheers
Ian

#1 IanB has been a member since 10/2/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by Lother on 10/2/2009 at 02:16

The rainy season in most of Thailand is not that bad at all. In fact I quite like the occasional rain and enjoyed my time there last July a lot. It's more like 2-3 hours of rain every second day than constant rain all the time, but of course there are stretches when it does rain every day. If you want a little less rain, the east coast (Samui, Phangan, Tao) would be a better choice for beach time in July.

#2 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214

Posted by exacto on 10/2/2009 at 03:47

We travelled during June and July on our last trip, and like Lother says, it really wasn't that bad at all. We only really had serious all-day rain on two days during that entire time, one in Siem Reap and the other on Samui. Besides, if you are on your honeymoon, even that won't necessarily be a bad thing.

Sticking to the gulf side like Lother recommends is a smart idea too, as you'll definitely get less rain than in other places down south. Even then, the rain is a nice break because it cools everything off in the afternoons.

I can't recommend a specific place to stay in Krabi or Phuket, but if you wind up on Samui I'd definitely recommend Lamai Wanta. Regards.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,630
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by tezza on 10/2/2009 at 05:54

Yeah, the southern Gulf normally has a different wet season - OCt into Jan - so mid year usually gets way less rain and heaps more sunshine. Find TRAVELFISH'S excellent interractive weather map for details.
Because of the better weather mid-year there is a sort of second high season there which cranks up late July.
Note Ko Samet is said to be drier than most mid-year too.
In the Andaman things are not too bad - I have had good July and August holidays there with plenty of sun, and accommodation tends to be discounted fiercely because it is low season.
The eastern Gulf tends to be REAL wet although we still get posts from big Ko Chang and neighbours reporting good holidays.
For what its worth I'll be spending a short time in the Andaman and a longer time in the southern Gulf early this August - I'm a weather nerd and I'm not at all worried about not getting sun.

#4 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,338
 Website 

Posted by Lother on 10/2/2009 at 16:04

Yeah, Ko Samet is an option too for sure. I was actually there for 3 days last July and had a good time. On one night there was probably the biggest thunderstorm I've ever seen in terms of lightning strikes (I loved it), but otherwise it was quite sunny and nice.

#5 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.