Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Visa Extension

  • Travel2008

    Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2008
    Posts: 6

    Hi, I am going to be a victim of the new 15 day visa regulations and wondered if anyone could give me some advice. I need to extend my visa by and extra 5 days and would prefer to avoid the hassle of a visa run to Cambodia or Malaysia...

    Does anyone know of a travel agent in Bangkok or Surat Thani (or even the Gulf coast islands) that do visa extensions i.e. someone we can trust with our passports!

    If we do end up doing a visa run to Cambodia for example is it possible to just leave Thailand and re enter straight away, or do we have to go into Cambodia?


    #1 Posted: 10/2/2009 - 16:02

  • Advertisement

  • Jon_Mak_Mak

    Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Posts: 464
    Total reviews: 5

    "If we do end up doing a visa run to Cambodia for example is it possible to just leave Thailand and re enter straight away, or do we have to go into Cambodia?"

    Hi, I have done this quite a few times at Poipet. I've just gone out one gate and come straight back in the other.

    Also done it a few times at Mae Sai aswell. In fact, a couple of times I didn't even cross the boarder and just paid a Thai official to go and stamp it for me. Other times I have paid one of the Cambodian lads to sort it out for me while I waited at the Thai-side of the boarder.

    Some of this is a bit dodgy tho, but to anwser your question, Yes it is possible.


    #2 Posted: 10/2/2009 - 22:26

  • gilrand

    Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2009
    Posts: 15

    Can anyone confirm to the question of needing to stamp in to Cambodia (or to buy Cambodian visa) in order to get new 15 day permit to Thailand? I need to get additional 15 days and the nearest border crossing is Hat Lek/Koh Kong, anyone has any first hand experience on this border?



    #3 Posted: 21/3/2010 - 13:18

  • Captain_Bob

    Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand
    Posts: 1790

    The 15 day visa exemption entering by land has been around for well over a year so it's not exactly new. An extension of this at any immigration office will allow seven more days and cost 1900 baht. Immigration checkpoints are listed on http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=south.

    If you do a border run for another 15 days, you technically need to stamp out of Thailand, enter the adjacent country's immigration checkpoint, and then do the reverse back to Thailand. When re-entering Thailand they'll be looking for an exit stamp from the neighboring country. So technically yes you would need to enter Cambodia in your case, which means obtaining a visa, even if you're just going in and straight back out. Some people may try to dodge the system but I don't recommend it.

    #4 Posted: 21/3/2010 - 14:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Can i get a visa extension on a 30day tourist visa without leaving the country? ... By swenglishdan on 31 Dec 2006 5 5677 4 Nov 2012