Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Backpacking with a Laptop

• cubedweller

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2008

Hello,

I'll be leaving for Thailand in March and will be staying for approximately 2 months. For the first half of the trip I will be staying in pretty hi-end resorts; for the second half, I will be met by friends and we will continue on in the typical 'backpacker' fashion; cheap accommodations, travel, etc.

I'd really love to bring my laptop for various reasons; updating my iPod, backing up my photos, editing photos and general WiFi connectivity where available. My only problem is, I'm scared. Anyone know about travel insurance for laptops? Or if my fear is unfounded? I may also leave Thailand for Laos or Vietnam at some point -- so this is also playing in to my decision.

Any advice?

Thanks!

~E

#1 Posted: 12/2/2009 - 00:43

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi cubedweller,

I have travlled about with my laptop (Thailand/Loas/Cambodia). While you are staying in the top-range hotles you could leave your laptop with reception/safe. In the low-range hotels you probably won't be able to depending on the hotel/guesthouse. I bought a little backpack for my laptop and just took it out with me.

I wouldn't leave the laptop (or anything of value) in the room when your out.

#2 Posted: 12/2/2009 - 04:24

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Unfortunately I travel with a laptop all the time, I've never left it with reception, but tend to stash it or take it with me. You can buy lightweight steel cables that you can loop through the security notch on your laptop and then to the bed/basin etc -- I'm yet to have a thief saw off the leg of my bed to get my laptop!

I know WorldNomads offers extra cover for cameras -- they may do for laptops as well -- not sure.

Another tip is to use a bag other than a "laptop bag" for carrying your laptop around. I use a canvas school shoulder bag that looks like it has never seen a laptop in its life -- a good way to remain "lower profile".

#3 Posted: 12/2/2009 - 14:31

• jafatravel

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2008

I've stayed in many a hostel and the only thing I've had taken/stolen is a pair of blue board shorts which I left on the clothes line to dry. I haven't travelled with a laptop but I would have no concerns leaving it in my pack in a dorm room. I've seen many backpackers travel with laptops and they haven't bothered with top security measures. One guy has even left his laptop in the common area for the whole 2 weeks he has been staying there!

I now leave my ipod and camera charging unintended and don't worry about it. The vibe of a hostel is that you don't want your things stolen so you wouldn't take anyone elses stuff. Everyone is very cool like that.

Its your choice. As you can see, i'm very trusting of people... actually, i'll qualify that, fellow backpackers at hostels.

#4 Posted: 12/2/2009 - 17:07

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Don't turn yourself into a shop window for thieves - then you will probably be OK.
    I use a cable and lock on my laptop and then hide it too.
    i bought my laptop so I could travel with it - so it isn't a choice for me.

#5 Posted: 13/2/2009 - 12:28

• davidjones1-

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2008

Most internet cafes in Thailand (10 - 60 Baht an hour, in my experience) will let you plug in an external memory stick into the USB port. No risk of downloading a worm or virus invading your laptop will you are traveling and a memory stick can be thrown away at the end of your travels of you have any concerns about infestations!

#6 Posted: 28/2/2009 - 18:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Is bringing a netbook (small laptop) for 2months backpacking be more hassle than its worth? ... By cjt on 27 Jan 2009 10 10316 27 Jun 2009