Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Best Scuba Diving Outfitters in Phuket/Ko Phi Phi

• emilybman

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi, I am interesting in completing an open dive scuba diving course in the Phuket area, preferably Ko Phi Phi. I know there are numerous options out there but I wanted to get some information from someone who had a particularly good experience at a particular diving outfitter or could recommend any good ones?

Thanks! Em

#1 Posted: 12/2/2009 - 11:55

• Advertisement

• underwaterg-
    irl

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2009

Hi Em,

I've done a fair bit of diving and a few diving courses in Phuket, I went with Scubacat who are based on the beach road in Patong. They're really friendly and good value.

If you want to dive on Phi Phi - Moskito Divers have been recommended to me, although I've not dived with them myself.

If in doubt - any dive centre that is PADI recognised will be a safe bet!

Happy diving!

#2 Posted: 12/2/2009 - 19:42

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

I have completed OWD course with ScubaCat in 2004 (just before tsunami). Friendly staff, good conditions, comfortable boat. So, I can recommend this dive shop.

#3 Posted: 23/2/2009 - 02:06

• Zenobiz

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2009

If going to Koh Phi Phi I would recommend Visa diving. They are a small and very friendly dive center. The price for doing a scuba course in Phi Phi is the same everywhere.
    If going to Phuket there is a lot of operators. Here, the price differense is much bigger. The lowest price I've seen was around 12.500 Baht for a beginner course, but it doesn't mean it is the best and you'll might be doing all the dives from the beach. I can recommend the following; Dive Asia, Kon-Tiki, Sea Bees and West Coast Divers.

Good luck!

#4 Posted: 23/2/2009 - 09:45

• melindabh

Joined Travelfish
    10th February, 2010

definitely don't go to barracuda. they hit on you to the point that you feel uncomfortable in their dive companionship. we felt so intimidated we had no choice but to be nice to them and they brought my friend up at at ten bar, which is TOTALLY inappropriate for anyone who is a dive professional. i could go on, but the remainder makes me feel as though i have reverted to my high school adolescence, what with the flirting and unprofessionalism. needless to say: GO ELSEWHERE.

#5 Posted: 10/2/2010 - 23:00

• thaweewong

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2010

Hallo,
    mein Tauchpartner und ich sind im November 2009 von dem Tauchcenter SANTANA DIVING In Phuket / Patong betrogen worden.
    Die Leiterin des Diveshop Andrea Hinrichs hat uns bewust mehrfach belogen, sogar am Tag der Abreise nach Similan. Der Törn mußte um 24 Std. verschoben werden, was mit unserem Zeitplan ( Hotelbuchung und Flüge )nicht zu vereinbaren war.
    Wir sagten den Törn ab, worauf uns Andrea unter Zeugen versprach, das Geld sofort zurück zu zahlen.
    Das ist nie geschehen.
    Wir warnen hier aller Taucher vor Santana Diving und den Betrügereien von Andrea.
    Leisten sie keine oder nur eine kleine Anzahlung, und bezahlen sie den rest nach dem Tauchen.

#6 Posted: 6/8/2010 - 01:03

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,
    Dive shops change and so do instructors on a frequent basis. The best advice is to go into several dive shops and met the instructor. This may not be as easy as it sounds as the person selling you the course isn't necessaryily your instructor.

So, meet YOUR instructor and chat with him and then decide if you like him/relate to him, whatever. As all courses follow the same guidelines the only different will be the atitude of the instructor.

An important consideration is where will the inital training be done, in a swimming pool or in the sea? In my opinion, training in a swimming pool is a far better than in the sea.

The other thing to look out for is the lenght of the course. It used to be a 4 day course, but most shops now cram that into 3 with lectures being given on boats on the way to the dive site!

A 4 day course with instrucvtionm in the classroom and use of a swimming pool is the best option to learn, if you can find it.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but bubbles!!!!!!!!!
    Mike

#7 Posted: 6/8/2010 - 11:48

• DomesticG

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2010

I was over at Phi Phi Island over new years this year. Basically, I went to the 1st dive shop that looked "big" enough so its not dodgy and being big, probably also means they have more boats, possibly bigger and newer boats. Of course, there are cases where big boats over pack with too many divers. And also, looking new so I would be assured that my equipments are not being overused.

I got lucky with Island Divers. They had very nice big boats, clean and safe. They would rather go out on 2 boats than to squeeze too many people on 1. The instructors were pretty friendly and being the only Asian on 1 of the dives, I didn't feel outcasted as they were open to having conversations with everyone. Lunch was fine, I got bored on the 3rd day tho. You don't need to carry anything, just your weight belts. All equipments would be packed and carried by the instructors. Which was a good thing, cos when I was in Koh Tao, I had to go pack and bring all my things myself unto the boat which means if I forgot anything, I would have to stay in boats while everyone enjoyed their dives.

However, my 2 friends who did their PADI OW course with Island Divers had a rather bad experience. Their instructor was mean and unfriendly. Didn't bother to talk to them. When they experienced difficulties, he basically told them to suck it up and carry on.

Also in PP, most dive schools do their training in confined sea waters. Which was 1 of the worst experience my friends had. In their words "constantly having seasick". I don't think I saw any dive schools with a pool for their pool training. So you might wanna look around.

Other than that, I had an amazing experience in PP!! Loved that place!

#8 Posted: 6/8/2010 - 13:10

• Scubanut

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2010

Hi,

Having done lots of diving on Koh Phi Phi along with some of my training i can wholeheartedly reccomend Moskito Diving.

Having dived with some of the other Dive shops on the island to get a feel for who i felt most comfortable doing my advanced course with at the end of last year, i ended up as a returning customer to Moskito and done a number of courses there as a result of the excellent level of care and attention i receved from the whole team there.

What started as just an advanced course ended up being my EFR and rescue as well.

Not only were all the staff very proffesional they were all keen to involve me in any after diving activities and make me and my friends feel welcome on the island which made our trip one of the best. All the instructors were always willing to take the time to answer any of my questions regardless who was responsible for my course. (also the best boat as far as im concerned)

I will be heading back soon for a holiday to meet the friends that i made there for some more of the same.

Amazing Island, Wonderfull shop and some great people working there.

5*.....

#9 Posted: 24/9/2010 - 02:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Scuba DIving in Koh Tao? ... By jlynnoff on 11 Jul 2014 2 539 28 Jul 2014
Scuba Diving Con Dao ... By ti325v on 2 Feb 2011 0 2459 2 Feb 2011
scuba diving ... By Joss369 on 15 Aug 2010 2 2737 16 Sep 2010
Scuba Diving ... By greenman on 9 Jan 2007 1 2000 10 Jan 2007
Scuba Diving ... By himji on 30 Nov 2010 0 1767 30 Nov 2010
Scuba diving in Koh Tao for beginners ... By matthias on 7 Mar 2008 1 4356 7 Mar 2008
Scuba Diving in Vietnam ... By sdhunter on 2 Jul 2007 3 2585 9 Jul 2007
Scuba Diving in Cambodia ... By mrkarlholland on 20 Nov 2008 4 5094 14 Oct 2010
Scuba diving on Ko Lanta ... By scubafish on 21 Mar 2009 0 2844 21 Mar 2009
best place to get scuba diving certified ... By parth82390 on 1 Jun 2011 3 2346 13 Jun 2011