Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Yasothon Rocket Festival

• mrnoxious

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2009

Is this worth going to see? We hadn't planned on going to NE Thailand during our 3 weeks, so was wondering if this is worth the journey. And if so, what would be the best way to get there. Would accommodation be more difficult to find because of the festival?

#1 Posted: 12/2/2009 - 18:27

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It is absolutely worth going to see -- it is totally and utterly mental! I've been to it three times and it only gets madder each time.

Accommodation gets busy, but there's a few largish hotels there now that accept reservations in advance, so if you're concerned you could do that.

#2 Posted: 18/2/2009 - 07:31

• mrnoxious

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2009

Excellent, can't wait.

As far as I can gather, this year the festival is between 9th-11th May. Am I correct, would hate to get there too late!

Would it be best to get the bus from Bangkok, or maybe the train to Ubon Ratchathani and bus from there?

#3 Posted: 18/2/2009 - 16:52

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You'll be able to get a direct bus from Bangkok to Yaso (from northern bus station) but if you've got time, I'd suggest overnight train to Ubon Ratchathani and explore around there a bit before heading to Yaso by bus.

Here's some pics from the festival in 2003 -- I'm sure it has only got sillier!

Not sure of the exact festival dates -- I'll do some digging and will post back.

#4 Posted: 18/2/2009 - 18:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
rocket Festival ... By eidechse on 1 Aug 2007 0 1873 1 Aug 2007
Rocket festival & Visahka ... By buddym on 19 Feb 2007 0 1589 19 Feb 2007
Rocket Festival in Savannakhet 2010 dates??? ... By jackchance on 18 Mar 2010 6 3178 10 May 2010