Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Yasothon Rocket Festival

Posted by mrnoxious on 12/2/2009 at 18:27

Is this worth going to see? We hadn't planned on going to NE Thailand during our 3 weeks, so was wondering if this is worth the journey. And if so, what would be the best way to get there. Would accommodation be more difficult to find because of the festival?

#1 mrnoxious has been a member since 4/2/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by somtam2000 on 18/2/2009 at 07:31 admin

It is absolutely worth going to see -- it is totally and utterly mental! I've been to it three times and it only gets madder each time.

Accommodation gets busy, but there's a few largish hotels there now that accept reservations in advance, so if you're concerned you could do that.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,507
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by mrnoxious on 18/2/2009 at 16:52

Excellent, can't wait.

As far as I can gather, this year the festival is between 9th-11th May. Am I correct, would hate to get there too late!

Would it be best to get the bus from Bangkok, or maybe the train to Ubon Ratchathani and bus from there?

#3 mrnoxious has been a member since 4/2/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by somtam2000 on 18/2/2009 at 18:35 admin

You'll be able to get a direct bus from Bangkok to Yaso (from northern bus station) but if you've got time, I'd suggest overnight train to Ubon Ratchathani and explore around there a bit before heading to Yaso by bus.

Here's some pics from the festival in 2003 -- I'm sure it has only got sillier!

Not sure of the exact festival dates -- I'll do some digging and will post back.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,507
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.