Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Which Islands During Rainy Season

• cbaumga2

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2009

We will be ending our trip to SE Asia at the end of June, and I would like to spend the last few days on a Thai Island. Which area would we see the best weather during this time? According to the weather map, the area around Ko Chang/Maak/Kut (which is where I was leaning toward) has the most rainy days in June. I have also heard that the Andaman Coast is not great during this time. Does anyone have personal experience on the islands during June? Thanks for your input.

#1 Posted: 17/2/2009 - 07:14

• Advertisement

• jafatravel

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2008

I stayed on Phi Phi in July 07 and the weather wasn't that great. During the day, there would be long sunny stretches but it would cloud over and you would have huge downpours. It is difficult to take the long tail boats around as the water is a lot choppier during winter. The long tail boat drivers are afraid of breaking their boats. I still enjoyed myself but if you can find somewhere that the weather is better, head there.

#2 Posted: 17/2/2009 - 16:19

• Joshq

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

I've heard the East side is the place to be. I'll be going to Thailand in June also and will be paying a visit to Ko Tao. If you're in to diving and relaxing...GO TO KO TAO!!

#3 Posted: 17/2/2009 - 17:23

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi c,

this is a very common question and there are heaps of other threads on exactly this topic.

the short of it is that the weather is usually best on the gulf side (east coast) that time of year. we spent 10 days on samui in the june/july timeframe and only got heavy rain on one of those days. so samui, tao, etc. are a drier bet for you as well.

be sure to check out the weather section for thailand and specifically the animated thai weather map for more details. you'll also find good information to help you plan your trip in the trip reports section.

another option you might wish to consider, particularly if you are flying out of bangkok, is to visit ko samet. it typically received less rain than other areas no matter what season it is, and is a reasonably quick and easy trip to/from bangkok. just be sure to arrive mid-week, as the place can get booked out on the weekends and particularly on thai holidays. cheers.

#4 Posted: 17/2/2009 - 22:07

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Yeah, southern Gulf (Samui/phangan/tao)is usually best, Samet next and most Andaman places not out of the question. I'm a weather nerd and this is my stock answer for that time of year:

In June/July normally all Thailand except the southern Gulf is in monsoon. The southern Gulf (Samui and neighbours plus adjacent mainland coast) usual wet season is Oct into Jan. I have had some great holidays there mid year - lots of sunshine, a few good storms.

June/July is normally not the worst of the wet season most other places - Sept and OCt tend to be wetter. I know one Phuket expat says the real wet season does not start until sometime in late July or even later. I have had good holidays both midyear and in August in the Andaman. Usually plenty of sunshine, one or more showers/storms per day, quite a few days with no rain or rain only at night, prolonged rainy periods not real common.

"Anywhere I should avoid?".
    Well the eastern Gulf around Trat/big Ko Chang is often REAL wet in June - the AVERAGE is over 900mm for the month - I'd hate to be there in a wetter than normal June. For comparison, I think London averages something in the 400s for a YEAR. Nevertheless I've seen plenty of posts from Chang in mid-year talking of good holidays - looks like they still get a fair bit of sunshine, but when it rains it REALLY rains.
    I've also seen a number of posts talking of PEOPLE DROWNING in big surf on Chang. All the main beaches face east into the prevailing winds - when these blow hard for a few days you can get big surf with dangerous rip currents, so take care. Maybe you could read my TIPS ON NOT DROWNING PAGE here http://tezzasthaiinfo.blogspot.com/2007/04/some-tips-on-not-drowning.html
    The Ranong area is also extra wet at around 700mm. I think the tourist attractions there,Ko Phayam and little Ko Chang Andaman side largely close down in the wet season.

BTW, the central Gulf, Ko Samet, Pattaya and Bangkok often get less rain than most areas besides the southern Gulf in June.

#5 Posted: 18/2/2009 - 12:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
rainy season ... By devondudley on 13 Oct 2008 4 2165 17 Oct 2008
Rainy Season - how bad is it really? ... By ahirsch on 11 Sep 2009 6 4123 10 Dec 2009
The Rainy Season ... By owsleybeck on 10 May 2007 1 2231 10 May 2007
Travelling during rainy season?? ... By pricelj1 on 4 May 2006 3 3677 5 May 2006
Which beach on Ko Tao during rainy season ? ... By st_martel on 18 May 2011 5 4119 14 Jun 2011
beaches in the rainy season ... By stefanovic on 19 Jun 2007 3 2596 7 Jul 2007
Travelling during rainy season ... By DLuek on 19 Jun 2008 1 4913 19 Jun 2008
Motorbikes in the rainy season ... By schuthie on 9 May 2012 7 1812 16 May 2012
Anyone travelled in rainy season?? ... By nikkip on 29 Apr 2008 8 5666 7 Jun 2008
Phuket/Railay in the Rainy Season? ... By dawei on 7 Mar 2008 0 2219 7 Mar 2008