Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Honeymoon in the islands

• brinner

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2006

Hi,

We are going to Thailand for 3 weeks on our honeymoon in July. We've been in Thailand before but never got to do the islands, we went North to Chiang Mai and into Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia.

Because it's July and rainy season we are going to go to Ko Samui, Ko Tao & Ko Pha Ngan. Does anyone have good recommendations of resorts on these islands that cater for honeymoons?

#1 Posted: 18/2/2009 - 20:54

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi brinner,

Can you give me an idea of what kind of budget you're considering and I'll try to make some recommendations.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 19/2/2009 - 06:52

• brinner

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2006

Hi somtam2000

I don't really have a budget. From expensive to middle I guess. I know that makes it broad. We would like something picturesque and not that much in terms of ferang with their girls.

Your recommendations are much appreciated!! A friend also mentioned this island Nai Pan Noi, do you know it?

We are going to spend 3 nights in Bangkok and then fly down to Ko Samui. Do you think 18 days is too long for Ko Samui, Ko Tao & Ko Pha Ngan? We were thinking of trying to take in Malaysia (well part of it, maybe a week down there).

Many thanks

#3 Posted: 19/2/2009 - 16:37

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi,

I think you're friend may have meant Thong Nai Pan Noi, which is a beach on east coast Ko Pha Ngan . It is home to some very smart resorts including the following (these links are straight to our booking partner Sawasdee)
    Santhiya
    Rasananda

That said, there's no need to spend the earth, if you want low-end chic, then Dolphin is outstanding -- but they don't take reservations -- you just have to be in luck.

On Samui, there's a gazillion places to choose from and high end "boutique blah blah" resorts continue to sprout like mushrooms in the wet season.

Of the places I've seen in person, I'd say high end, consider the following:

SilaEvason or
    Sala Samui

I little down in price:
    Le Paradis

More moderately priced, where you're looking for good value, then Lamai Wanta is great value.

A personal favourite, well off the beach, is Jungle Club

Take a look through the listings on the site -- you'll see we've personally reviewed hundreds of places -- the above I mention in part because they can be booked online (which is what I assume you're after).

More questions, ask away.

And congrats on getting hitched ;-)

#4 Posted: 20/2/2009 - 09:44

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I'm looking at nice midrange places around that time in the area -
    Samui - Thongkian on a real nice underdeveloped beach between Chaweng and Lamai gets great user reviews - http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/samui/thongtakian/
    More upmarket place on same beach - google Samui Yacht Club (misnomer, no boats).
    On Phangan a similar beach (bit more busy) and place - Cookies on Hat Salat
    http://www.cookies-phangan.com/
    http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/kohphangan/cookies/
    Always reckoned if I could afford it I'd stay at Panviman at Thong Nai Pan. Day rate is way high, but multiday packages seem better. Note website also includes Panviman on big Ko Chang. Don't really want to be there mid-year - usually VERY wet.

#5 Posted: 20/2/2009 - 15:23

• brinner

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2006

Many thanks! Some of these places look lovely.

#6 Posted: 21/2/2009 - 00:34

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

No worries -- the above is only a small sample -- Samui in particular has hundreds of places to choose from.

#7 Posted: 21/2/2009 - 19:35

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

somtam, Jungle Club blows me away. But Lady Tezza says SUPER STEEP HILL - NO WAY!!!!
    Ah well, maybe some other trip when I'm travelling solo.

#8 Posted: 22/2/2009 - 07:55

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

Check out tripadvisor.com. I always use that resource (in addition to travelfish) when looking for something splurge-worthy. I haven't actually stayed there, but Blue Ocean Garden Hideaway on the west coast looks awesome and I just about stayed there in January but we determined that it just wasn't in the budget this time. (It's on the B&B list for Koh Phangan on Trip Advisor.)
    Congrats!

#9 Posted: 22/2/2009 - 15:49

• ceci773

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2009

Hi, I'm also planning to spend the last days of my honeymoon (October 2009) on an island in Thailand. We want to stay at a luxurious honeymoon resort on a beautiful, quiet island with good snorkelling. Can anyone recommend islands/resorts for this?

Thanks in advance!

#10 Posted: 23/2/2009 - 13:33

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

ceci - normally I'd say have a look at Ko Nangyuan resort off Ko Tao - but it's more midrange than luxurious and that area has a reputation for throwing up some shockingly wet Octobers every now and then.

Elsewhere is also wet season, but usually non-southern Gulf wet seasons are not too bad with enough sunshine for a good holiday. I figure what you want is a luxury place on a secluded east coast beach (prevailing winds are off-the-shore leading to smooth conditions) with good snorkelling.
    Okay, check TRAVELFISH and others for the laid back east coast of Phi Phi. Phi Phi Island Resort on Loh Bakeo is very flash and there are some pretty nice places up at Laem Tong. Long Beach on the south coast is not as sheltered but does have good snorkelling - Phi Phi The Beach Resort is the flashest there.
    Ko Ngai's main eastern beach has 4 or 5 upper midrange to high end joints. Real nice island.
    Nearby Ko Kradan has a similar beach, less developed, probably better snorkelling and there is a new super flash joint - can't remember the name.

#11 Posted: 24/2/2009 - 13:42

• brinner

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2006

Hi Somtam,

Just a quick reply to let you know that we are just back from our honeymoon in Thailand and had a great time there.

Your recommendations were perfect, as always this website is absolutely amazing. We stayed at the Sala Samui for 4 nights amazing place.

Then went to Le Paradis, which we loved, different and on a nice part of Chaweng beach with great food. Unfortunately they're closing it in October to make renovations. I don't see why they should. It's a great place.

Then we went to Haad Salad & Haad Yao and then stayed at Rasananda, which also was an excellent reccomendation. Had a few drinks in the Dolphin, which I thought had a cool bar / food area.

Really wanted to go to the Jungle Club but couldn't fit it in.

Once again many thanks for these reccomendations, it made our honeymoon truely special.

Brinner.

#12 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 20:11

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Thanks for the feedback +brinner+ - nice you had a good visit and for us it's great to get some answers to the thought we often get when typing out an anwer - "I wonder where this person will end up going?"

#13 Posted: 25/7/2009 - 10:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
CHRISTMAS HONEYMOON ON THAI ISLANDS WHICH ISLANDS DO YOU RECOMMEND ... By Warriorcandy on 1 Dec 2011 1 1124 4 Dec 2011