Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Tonsai Bay Resort?

• climbergirl

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2009

Anyone stay there before? Is the water clean?

#1 Posted: 21/2/2009 - 03:56

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Which TonSai bay -- there's quite a few.

#2 Posted: 21/2/2009 - 19:36

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Abit more info might help!

:)

#3 Posted: 22/2/2009 - 02:27

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

What do you mean "is the water clean"? For drinking or swimming? Tonsai Bay Resort itself is nice but very overpriced. There are lots of great places to stay on Tonsai -- check out the Travelfish "accomodation" page for Tonsai/Railay.

#4 Posted: 22/2/2009 - 15:37

• crimptacular

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2009

Actually, there is a resort on Tonsai (not Phi Phi) called Tonsai Bay Resort. As for water, don't drink water from any taps whatsoever anywhere in Tonsai. You can large 6L jugs of it from any of the convenience stores (the farther the store from the beach, the cheaper).

Any particular reason that you've chosen Tonsai Bay? It's by far the most expensive (and I mean BY FAR) resort on Tonsai. Are you looking for A/C rooms? Mountain View, Dream Valley and Country Side have A/C rooms as well and are less that what you'd pay at Tonsai Bay.

#5 Posted: 22/2/2009 - 15:39

• climbergirl

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2009

Yes, I'm talking about Tonsai Bay Resort on Tonsai. I was looking for a decent place that has A/C, private baths, is clean, and would be a nice place to spend my anniversary without being as expensive as Railey. I didn't know the others has A/C. I'll check it out. Thanks.

#6 Posted: 24/2/2009 - 06:46

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

Fair enough. I'm not sure what level of comfort you're looking for - I love countryside resort but I don't know if the a/c room has hot water (or if you care when it's that hot). Even if you don't staythere, it's worth visiting the restaurant if it's open as they have the best food on Tonsai IMHO. The owners Wayne and Julie are great people.

Also, not sure if you realize that while Tonsai Bay Resort has beachfront property none of the rooms are beachfront. In fact, the nicer rooms all appear to be way back in the jungle almost as far as Dream Valley. You may still want to stay here if you get a good low season discount (it is nice). Just want you to have all the info to make your decision ... ;)

There are places on Railay East that are cheaper than TBR (and have a/c) but IMHO tonsai beach is nicer than Railay East, especially if you are a good climber. You can walk back and forth, but it's far enough that if you plan to climb mostly on tonsai you should try to stay on Tonsai. I found food to generally be cheaper on tonsai too.

#7 Posted: 24/2/2009 - 07:49

• climbergirl

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2009

Thanks for all the feedback. My twin sis went last year and recommended this place, though she hadn't stayed there herself. For just 1 week and for our anniversary, she thought it might be nice. My husband definitely needs a place with A/C, hot showers, and a clean place. I don't plan on swimming, but I wanted to make sure we didn't get sick since we hear that the sewage system there in Tonsai isn't very good.

#8 Posted: 24/2/2009 - 11:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.