Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Buying a laptop in Bangkok?

• cubedweller

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2008

Hey,

I was curious if people thought the prices were competitive for computer equipment in Bangkok -- specifically Panthip Plaza.

I remember purchasing a netbook as a gift for a friend last year for a really good price and was thinking of doing the same thing next month, but the more I read, the more it seems like Thailand is rather expensive for these types of products (although my experience seems to be somewhat different)...

Does anyone have any advise or experience? Would I save money buying it in Thailand? Or should I just purchase one here at home (US)? I'm mainly looking into getting an ASUS Eee PC or another brand of netbook.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 27/2/2009 - 04:50

• Advertisement

• davidjones1-

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2008

In my experience, if you buy any electronic equipment outside your home county, it is important to read the small print about the warranty and servic arrangements if something goes wrong at a future date. Also, I am now very wary of buying branded goods in Asia from any place that is not listed as an authorised vendor on the official website of the organisation concerned. I bought a Compaq laptop in Hong Kong a few years back from what seemed to be a genuine agent. When the screen went blank two years later in the UK and took it to an authorised dealer, they told me my laptop was a fake and they refused to repair it!

Pirated software is widely available in Thailand - but installing and using it can get you into a heap of trouble if challenged by customs officials when you return home.

Caveat emptor!

#2 Posted: 27/2/2009 - 21:59

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Customs would take the time to boot up a laptop and check for pirated software? No way!

#3 Posted: 8/4/2010 - 12:10

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I bought an Asus netbook at Panthip plaza last autumn. As #2 says, the warranty with Asus products is only valid in Thailand but it does also include a guarantee in case of theft or breakage too.

My netbook developed a problem shortly after I bought it. The main reason I chose an Asus netbook was because of the exceptionally long battery life (10.5 hours) and unfortunately the battery stopped charging after a couple of weeks... when I was in a remote part of Indonesia.

I'd got a tax rebate at the airport when I left the country too. The customs took the invoice, leaving me with no proof of purchase! Important tip: if you get a tax rebate in Thailand, be sure and make a photocopy of the invoice beforehand.

I went back to the Asus shop at Panthip when I came back to Thailand two months later anyway to see if they could do something. The Asus shop had a record of the serial number and did give me a duplicate invoice ... though the photocopy wasn't free; they charged me 100B or something for it.

I then had to take the netbook to the Asus service shop at the Fortune IT Mall near Rama 9. The guy there changed the battery straight away and I've had no problems with the netbook since then.

Conclusion: unless you are going to be in Thailand for a while I wouldn't risk buying an Asus there because of the lack of international warranty. I don't know how to tell if my netbook is a fake or not but I don't think so, and it does have genuine XP installed. Acer products on the other hand come with an international warranty.

#4 Posted: 8/4/2010 - 14:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.