Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Buying a laptop in Bangkok?

Posted by cubedweller on 27/2/2009 at 04:50

Hey,

I was curious if people thought the prices were competitive for computer equipment in Bangkok -- specifically Panthip Plaza.

I remember purchasing a netbook as a gift for a friend last year for a really good price and was thinking of doing the same thing next month, but the more I read, the more it seems like Thailand is rather expensive for these types of products (although my experience seems to be somewhat different)...

Does anyone have any advise or experience? Would I save money buying it in Thailand? Or should I just purchase one here at home (US)? I'm mainly looking into getting an ASUS Eee PC or another brand of netbook.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#1 cubedweller has been a member since 23/2/2008. Posts: 35

Posted by davidjones1952 on 27/2/2009 at 21:59

In my experience, if you buy any electronic equipment outside your home county, it is important to read the small print about the warranty and servic arrangements if something goes wrong at a future date. Also, I am now very wary of buying branded goods in Asia from any place that is not listed as an authorised vendor on the official website of the organisation concerned. I bought a Compaq laptop in Hong Kong a few years back from what seemed to be a genuine agent. When the screen went blank two years later in the UK and took it to an authorised dealer, they told me my laptop was a fake and they refused to repair it!

Pirated software is widely available in Thailand - but installing and using it can get you into a heap of trouble if challenged by customs officials when you return home.

Caveat emptor!

#2 davidjones1952 has been a member since 13/11/2008. Posts: 10

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 8/4/2010 at 12:10

Customs would take the time to boot up a laptop and check for pirated software? No way!

#3 CrankyCarrot has been a member since 24/3/2010. Location: Thailand. Posts: 662
 Website 

Posted by SBE on 8/4/2010 at 14:17

I bought an Asus netbook at Panthip plaza last autumn. As #2 says, the warranty with Asus products is only valid in Thailand but it does also include a guarantee in case of theft or breakage too.

My netbook developed a problem shortly after I bought it. The main reason I chose an Asus netbook was because of the exceptionally long battery life (10.5 hours) and unfortunately the battery stopped charging after a couple of weeks... when I was in a remote part of Indonesia.

I'd got a tax rebate at the airport when I left the country too. The customs took the invoice, leaving me with no proof of purchase! Important tip: if you get a tax rebate in Thailand, be sure and make a photocopy of the invoice beforehand.

I went back to the Asus shop at Panthip when I came back to Thailand two months later anyway to see if they could do something. The Asus shop had a record of the serial number and did give me a duplicate invoice ... though the photocopy wasn't free; they charged me 100B or something for it.

I then had to take the netbook to the Asus service shop at the Fortune IT Mall near Rama 9. The guy there changed the battery straight away and I've had no problems with the netbook since then.

Conclusion: unless you are going to be in Thailand for a while I wouldn't risk buying an Asus there because of the lack of international warranty. I don't know how to tell if my netbook is a fake or not but I don't think so, and it does have genuine XP installed. Acer products on the other hand come with an international warranty.

#4 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.