Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Floating Market Damnoen Saduak

• dawntlc

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2009

I would like to see this floating market Damnoen Saduak is it possible without joining any tour. Can you tell me how if i'm coming from Soi Kasem San 1. which is cheaper joining or not? if joining a tour can you recommend one?

#1 Posted: 28/2/2009 - 19:06

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Well, as we say in the Damnoen Saduak section, the floating market is a tourist trap and not worth going to see -- but if you want to, get a bus the day before to Damnoen Saduak town (bus leaves from southern bus station in Bangkok). Then overnight there and go to see the market early the next morning.

It is not worth doing on a tour from Bangkok.

#2 Posted: 2/3/2009 - 14:09

• dawntlc

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2009

Is there any other floating market aside from Damnoen, if so how to get there? I can't stay overnight in Damnoen - maybe a half day is possible.. this is my plan arriving march 3 late pm in bangkok, stay in sawasdee sukhumvit.. March 4 go to Kanchanaburi, march 5 back to bangkok early in the morning, no hotel yet.. so March 5 is free.. march 6 to Katuchak market. March 7 back to phils.. very limited time.. maybe you can help me by telling some place to visit in bangkok..

#3 Posted: 2/3/2009 - 14:42

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

If I were you Dawn,I'd forget about a floating market and on the 5th March I'd go and see the King'Palace,Wat Pho,Wat Arun,Wat Saket and a trip on the Chao Praya river.All in the same area and easy to get to.

#4 Posted: 2/3/2009 - 15:33

• dawntlc

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2009

Thank you Thaiman, i will consider your good advice.

#5 Posted: 2/3/2009 - 19:29

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

There are a couple of floating markets, and the one that my Thai friends recommend is Amphawa (or Ampawa), which is south of Bangkok. It only runs from Friday until Sunday. Apparently, and I don't know this from experience, it is geared more towards Thais and not towards tourists.

Instead of going back to Bangkok from Kanchanaburi, why don't you stay overnight in Samut Songkham, see the market very early in the morning, and then head back to Bangkok on the train via Samut Sakhon (Mahachai) and then to Thonburi? Much more interesting than going by bus.

#6 Posted: 2/3/2009 - 20:44

• dawntlc

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2009

Hi, Tilapia:
    How far is Samut songkham from Kanch and how to go there? If it's not possible to go there, is heading back to Bangkok from Kanch via train is advisable?

#7 Posted: 2/3/2009 - 23:20

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hi,

You'd go to Samut Songkham by bus from K-buri. That would be the most convenient and fastest way, I think. If you can't go directly to Damnoen Saduak directly, you'd probably go via Ratchaburi. You'd be able to find out at the bus station in K-buri when you arrive there, or at the train station.

If you decide to go back to Bangkok, then the train is a great way to go. Slow, but much better and more interesting by bus.

#8 Posted: 3/3/2009 - 02:11

• dawntlc

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2009

Today is the day.. few more hours i will be going to clark airport for my trip to Thailand... I would like to thank you all for your kind advises/information..

Have a wonderful day ahead... to us...

#9 Posted: 3/3/2009 - 04:05

• kkswan

Joined Travelfish
    21st July, 2009

Hi!
    Me and friends are planning on going to Thailand next mth and we are planning to visit Amphawa (or Ampawa) floating market. Can someone tell us how get to this place. We are planning on taking public transport to this place. Which BTS station to alight and how do we get on from there. Appreciate all the info we can get.

#10 Posted: 21/7/2009 - 17:20

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I went to Amphawa last year - we had a rental car at that stage so drove ourselves there, so can't really help with transport suggestions (but refer to the link below for a map). This was one of our favourite places in all of Thailand and we stayed longer than we originally planned.

We arrived early on Saturday morning I think, found somewhere to stay right on the canal and spent the day wandering around. It was very quiet and laid back, and we were just about the only white faces around. Saturday afternoon, however, the place came to life! Turns out this is where the Thai's come for a weekend getaway. It was fascinating to just sit and watch the floating market - and to enjoy the food that we bought from the boats. This floating market is definitely not one aimed at the tourists which is what made it so fascinating.

We stayed for an extra night, expecting a repeat of the market - but there wasn't one. It felt like all of Amphawa had shut down. It was extremely quiet with not much happening, but it was a great opportunity to just chill out on the canals, and to meet and talk to some of the locals who lived on the canals. And we had a little Karaoke session with some residents in the evening on the edge of the canal!

The next day we drove to where the more touristy floating market was held - and it was just awful in comparison.

I would definitely recommend this place, but if you are wanting to see the market, you really want to aim for the weekend, as Tilapia stated above.

There's more info here, including a map: http://www.amphawafloatingmarket.com/

I don't think this featured in the travelguides that we were using (TF and LP) - so it's still undiscovered by the tourist masses. I hope it stays that way.

#11 Posted: 21/7/2009 - 18:31

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Following on from my previous post - there is a Benjarong ceramics factory shop within walking distance. We went to have a look, and were invited to go into the factory part to watch them making/painting the ceramics. It's pricey stuff, but beautifully made and nicer than the Benjarong that we saw in the touristy souvenir shops.

#12 Posted: 21/7/2009 - 18:36

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

There's also Taling Chan floating market -- detailed at the bottom of the page here

#13 Posted: 21/7/2009 - 18:54

• Thaiman

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

Have to agree with Busy Lizzy about Amphawa,without doubt one of the best places I've ever been in Thailand.We went there during the week so no market, very laid back.Just sat on the edge of the canal and watch life go by.Plenty of water Goannas to look at.As for transport to Amphawa we caught the bus from the station in Thonburi but I have no idea how often they run.

#14 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 03:59

• Thaiman

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

As a side note about Amphawa it was voted the best place for holiday,getaway in Thailand in a poll conducted by the Bangkok Post.

#15 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 04:02

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Thaiman - I'm not sure we should be posting about it here - I kind of like the idea of keeping it a secret! ;-)

#16 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 05:21

• Thaiman

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

Think you're probably right there,Lizzy

#17 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 10:10

• kkswan

Joined Travelfish
    21st July, 2009

Thank you for all your comments. I still have a question to ask would it be wise for me to travel on the local bus to head on down to this floating market? If to take a cab how much will it cost the 3 of us from Bangkok to Amphawa floating market. Me and my friends are really excited over this. :)

#18 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 14:53

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I don't think a taxi would be feasible - or rather, it wouldn't be very economical. Amphawa is about 1.5-2 hours out of Bangkok. At least, that's how long it took us to drive from Amphawa to the airport to return the rental car.

I would go with Thaiman's suggestion of catching a bus (or hiring a car/bike maybe?)

After googling 'getting to Amphawa', I came up with this:

ETTING THERE

"From Bangkok, cross the Chao Phraya River via the Rama IX suspension bridge and follow Rama II Road for about an hour until you see signs directing you to Samut Songkhram. Farther along there are plenty of signs pointing the way to the district of Amphawa and its floating market.

Public buses on the Bangkok-Ratchaburi-Damnoen Saduak route, which depart from the Southern Bus Terminal in Thon Buri, go directly past the floating market."
    http://www.bangkokpost.com/240708_Horizons/24Jul2008_hor07.php

#19 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 16:18

• kkswan

Joined Travelfish
    21st July, 2009

Hey !

Thanks so much busylizzy ... hopefully me & friends will not get lost looking for it.
    Once again thanks so much for all the advice.

#20 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 16:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
How to get from Maeklong train market to Damnoen Saduak floating market ... By Russian on 5 Sep 2011 3 7067 5 Sep 2011
Tip for Cai Be floating market ... By rdavout on 13 Sep 2008 3 7360 16 Sep 2008
Damnoek Suduak floating market ... By Harry05 on 14 Oct 2007 1 1647 14 Oct 2007
Can Tho - boat trip to floating market (warning/advice) ... By fox80 on 29 May 2011 2 6596 10 Jan 2014
is it worth going on a day trip to samutprakarn crocodile farm and the floating market? ... By sorabee on 2 Feb 2012 3 1045 6 Feb 2012