admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

We published this story yesterday, but I didn't have time to mention it here on the blog, so here it is!

During a recent foray through Bangkok, we put together a list of what we think to be the top ten guesthouses/hostels in Bangkok for 2009.

The list covers different budgets and we've tried to cover all the "main" districts in Bangkok -- it was a difficult list to boil down to ten -- that's why there's actually 12 places listed.

Our final list is:
    1) Sam Sen Sam Place
    2) Shambara Boutique Guesthouse
    3) Phra Nakorn Norn Len
    4a) SleepWithInn
    4b) Rikka Inn
    5) Chada Guesthouse
    6) Villa Cha Cha
    7) Refill Now
    8a) Lub d Bangkok
    8b) HQ Hostel
    9) New Road Guest House
    10) Wendy House

Some of these are long-running and well known -- others you may well have never heard about. You can read the full story, including our reviews of each property here: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/137

All that said, Bangkok's a big city and everyone has their favourite -- if you've got a place that you reckon belongs on this list, please feel free to post away and let everyone know about it!

#1 Posted: 3/3/2009 - 07:18

• Advertisement

• halongbay07

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2009

which would you recommend for a good backpacker type atmosphere without being to overrun with 'tourists'? im going to thaialnd in september and it will be my 1st visit there, but i have travelled in vietnam.

#2 Posted: 11/3/2009 - 16:54

• Vermiccious-
    Knid

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2009

Halong, could you please describe the difference between the two.

#3 Posted: 12/3/2009 - 22:21

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I think you'll find what you're looking for at Sam Sen. There are a few places along Samsen Soi 1. The best I've seen for "atmosphere" is Villa. It's off Samsen Soi 1 down a very narrow corridor. It's a nice, old, wooden home full of antiques, and a handful of rooms.

Samsen is a District of Bangkok, as well as a major road that runs parallel to the river, that's very close to Banglamphoo and which has become a pretty good area for guest houses over the last 10 years, or so. You'll find loads of backpacker places on both sides of the road.

You'll also find decent spots in Trok Kai Chae, an alleyway that runs between Phra Sumen Road and Phra Athit by the river. Green House, Apple II, and a handful of other spots. They are quiet, cheap, and a little bit old-school. Small rooms, shared bathroom, but what I consider good atmosphere.

#4 Posted: 12/3/2009 - 22:58

• storm17

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009

Our plane does not land till late..and then we plan on getting a cab to koh san road so we should be getting there around 1-2 in the monrning..are there quite a few places with 24 hour service..or are we going to have trouble finding a place??

#5 Posted: 18/3/2009 - 11:01

• storm17

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009

and what area would be nearest to the train station heading south to chumphon and would that area have more 24 hours hotels?

#6 Posted: 18/3/2009 - 11:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.