Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

thailand,cambodia & laos in 3 weeks??

Posted by halongbay07 on 4/3/2009 at 17:31

Hi, after travelling in vietnam recently ive really got the taste for south east asia and since i can only get 3 weeks off work this time i was wondering if it is realistic to be able to travel in thailand,cambodia AND laos in just 3 weeks? as i wouldnt want to rush too muuch!

has anyone had similar trips? and if so how did it work out?

Thanks!

Ben.

#1 halongbay07 has been a member since 4/3/2009. Posts: 29

Posted by alex16103 on 4/3/2009 at 21:14

Hi there,

A couple of years ago I travelled from Bangkok to Cambodia (Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville) to Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh, Nha Trang, Hoi an, Hue and Hanoi ) in 3 weeks. At the end we flew from Hanoi to Bangkok to fly back but didn't get any other flights.

I'm currently planning a 3 week trip from Bangkok, through Laos, to north Vietnam.

I think you should definitely give it a go, but one of countries you wont be able to spend much time in, unless you're happy to move on pretty much every other day/ or don't want to visit too many places. On the trip I went on, I just stayed 1 day in Bangkok then travelled out of Thailand so I could spend a bit longer in Cambodia.

PS I'll be going to Ha Long bay for the first time this time - any tips?!

#2 alex16103 has been a member since 23/5/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 8

Posted by halongbay07 on 4/3/2009 at 22:29

thanks for the info youve actually given a bit more confidence, but if it turns out to be pushing it i think ill have to give one of the countrys a miss on this trip as i wouldnt want to rush round and up end regretting missing things out.

as for halong bay i can honestly say it was amazing and definetly my highlight of vietnam!

I can recommend a company called handspan, based in central hanoi, on mamay street (or something very similar) they run small group cruise which are a cut above all the others we saw along the way.

for about £60 per person we got a 2 night cruise around halong bay, which included food and canoing, the 1st night was spent on the boat and the 2nd in a luxury hotel on Cat Ba Island, we were literally right on the sea front with amazing views! if you want to get the most out of your halong bay experience then its definetly worth paying the extra (but still getting a great deal!) as there are loads of cheap immitations out there!

#3 halongbay07 has been a member since 4/3/2009. Posts: 29

Posted by alex16103 on 6/3/2009 at 15:19

No problem. Thanks for the Halong recommendation, I'll look them up when I'm in Hanoi.

Any questions about anywhere I've been just let me know

#4 alex16103 has been a member since 23/5/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 8

Posted by halongbay07 on 7/3/2009 at 00:37

well now that you mention it...

im sure thailaind is a beautiful country but im the sort of person that likes to bet away from the most touristy areas and i know thailand has got a reputation for masses of tourists in the same areas, and as im not planning on booking anywhere before when we land in bangkok can you recommend a plan of where to head first etc?

thanks!

#5 halongbay07 has been a member since 4/3/2009. Posts: 29

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.