Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Ubon Ratchathani to Chiang Mai

Posted by mrnoxious on 4/3/2009 at 21:31

Would getting a train via Bangkok be the best way of getting from Ubon Ratchathani to Chiang Mai? Or is there an easier/quicker way?

#1 mrnoxious has been a member since 4/2/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by wanderingcat on 5/3/2009 at 00:01

don't know about flight options, hope someone who knows better can advise you.

but if you want to do it by bus, Nakhonchai Air bus company has an overnight VIP bus from Ubon Ratchathani to Chiangmai. according to their website (http://www.nca.co.th/newweb/index.php, Thai only), departs 17:15 & arrives 08:55. supposedly one of the more reputable companies (in terms of road safety) around.

#2 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by Thaiman on 5/3/2009 at 02:13

From Ubon to Bangkok to Chiang Mai is certainly a long way round and would be very time consuming.Failing flights,as Wanderingcat says,the overnight bus would be the way to go.Sixteen hours on a bus is a long time though.

#3 Thaiman has been a member since 12/11/2008. Posts: 201

Posted by Tilapia on 5/3/2009 at 04:16

I think that the "best" way would be to take a bus to either Khon Kaen or Udon Thani, spend the night, and then head to CM the next day.

I'm only suggesting this because the food in both UT and KK is simply outstanding! I'm thinking with my stomach here.

But it also breaks up the trip. If you're in a hurry, do the long-haul or fly.

#4 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,485
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by mrnoxious on 5/3/2009 at 18:06

Thanks for the suggestions.
I like the idea of going via Khon Kaen or Udon Thani, I am listening with my stomach!

#5 mrnoxious has been a member since 4/2/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by Tilapia on 5/3/2009 at 21:21

Hi Mr. Noxious,

KK is probably a better route to go by, though it is only about 4 or 5 hours from Ubon. It will give you a better route to Phitsanulok and then north than Udon Thani would. Udon Thani is a bit too far north.

If you do decide to go by this route, let me know and I can recommend a decent place to stay in that's close to the bus station.

Cheers

#6 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,485
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.