Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Phanom Rung

• Kostichka

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2009

Everyone,
    I am planning my stay in Thailand which is about 50 days. I fly into BKK on April 1st and would like to make it to Phanom by April 4th to see both, the sunrise and the "Ascent of Phanom Rung" festival. Can someone tell me what is the best way to get there for sunrise? Is it be possible to find someone to drive me from Nang Rong at 5AM, or do I have to rely on renting my own transport.
    Thanks in advance for your help!

K

#1 Posted: 10/3/2009 - 22:05

• Advertisement

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

you should be able to find someone to drive you there for sunrise. Motos and taxi pick-ups hang around the bus station, and there are driver services at some of the guest houses. Check with Honey Inn, www.honeyinn.com, they have offer a pick-up with driver for 600THB, 6 hrs, much more reasonable than the driver services at the P. California. I think a/c mini van at P California was about 400THB/hr, OK if you have a group as Rick is incredibly knowledgeable about the history of the region, but his driver rates are astronomical.
    Don't miss Wat Khao Angkhan or Prasat Muang Tam . I found Muang Tam to be a richer experience than Phanom Rung, sublime and peaceful in contrast to the crowds and activity at Phanom Rung. Good local food in Nang Rong.

#2 Posted: 10/3/2009 - 23:41

• Kostichka

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2009

Thank you for your reply!

I'm currently trying to figure out when is the famous light show. Would that be on the opening ceremony? I got a flyer from TAT that says festivities are April 2-5 with an opening ceremony on April 3rd (Friday). I seem not to find anything else online that confirms this. Of course, I am overbooking myself and I plan to spend 1.5 days in Phanom Rung once I get there :)

Cheers
    k

#3 Posted: 13/3/2009 - 13:58

• wayne

Joined Travelfish
    1st February, 2004

easiest is to rent a motorbike and head up the hill, it is an easy trip

#4 Posted: 21/3/2009 - 03:03

• jarvis1

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

The other choice is Nangrong Hotel, http://www.nangronghotel.com. This hotel is located in center of nangrong town. I like these so it near 7-11, night plaza and Morning market. this hotel has sightseeing tour with private car to Phanomrung historical park 1,000 THB or Phanomrung and muangtam ruin 1,200 THB.This rate is for the whole day and pick u back to the hotel in the afternoon. So you don't worry about how you go there in the early morning. It so easy.

#5 Posted: 17/9/2009 - 23:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.