Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ideas for a short trip out of Pattaya?

• cubedweller

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2008

Currently in Pattaya and would like to take a short (2 night) trip somewhere. I've been to Koh Samed so I would like to go somewhere new -- flying is an option (out of Bangkok or Pattaya) but would rather not -- any ideas?

#1 Posted: 13/3/2009 - 00:00

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Si Racha and Ko Si Chang is ok for a night or two -- they're not covered on Travelfish, but they're not bad spots.

#2 Posted: 13/3/2009 - 07:53

• ChangFai

Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

I like Koh Si Chang as a daytrip from Pattaya , dont know if there is enough to keep me occupied for two nights though ?

#3 Posted: 13/3/2009 - 08:49

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Cube,

I love Ko Samet, so if it were me, I would definitely head there (assuming it was mid week and not over the weekend). But if that doesn't interest you, what about Trat ? Most folks just blow through there on the way to Ko Chang, but the city itself is charming and there should be just the right amount of stuff to keep you busy but give you plenty of time to just relax for those two nights. Read the listings on Travelfish on Trat and see what you think.

Hey, by the way, what did you finally decide to do about your visa? Did you apply for the 60-day tourist visa or did you get 30 days on entry with that planned side trip to Malaysia? Cheers.

#4 Posted: 13/3/2009 - 11:11

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

I was going to suggest Chantaburi.Some really nice unspoilt beaches there,or there was 3 years or so ago.Not too many tourists.Also there's some pretty interesting Mangrove swamps which have been turned into a National Park or reserve and you did'nt have to pay.Perhaps you do now though.I think it's one of the very few places left in Thailand where you may get to see a Dugong or Sea Cow.

#5 Posted: 13/3/2009 - 14:27

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

How about Bangkok???

... just kidding.

I'll double Exacto's Trat suggestion. I love that place. Terrific night market, and a very relaxed atmosphere with some nice guest houses. A very unassuming provincial capital. Great place to rent a motorbike in and then explore the area along the coast, or the hilly areas up along the Cambodian border.

I like Phimai, as well, for short excursions. But if you're not into Khmer architecture, Trat or Chanthaburi might be better choices. Closer, too (though you can get the train to Khorat.)

#6 Posted: 13/3/2009 - 22:01

• donny

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2009

krabi is a nice island

#7 Posted: 14/3/2009 - 12:41

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ummmm ... Donny? Krabi is not an island. At least, last time I was there it wasn't.

#8 Posted: 15/3/2009 - 07:24

• cubedweller

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2008

Thanks for the replies everyone... I actually ended up on Koh Samet for two nights... and although it was over the weekend, I had a good time -- just very crowded ;)

I think I'll check out Trat for a night or two before heading to Koh Chang in a few days.

exacto,

I ended up not getting the two month visa. I just didn't want to take the time off work prior to leaving as would have been necessary. Now I can't decide where to head for my visa-run/side-trip. I'm still heavily leaning toward Malaysia but I am open for ideas? I'll need to book the flight for the 31st, so I've got some time..

#9 Posted: 15/3/2009 - 16:34

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

....and Krabi is nowhere near Pattaya.

Check out Keaw Keaw Zoo

avoid the Tiger Zoo at Sri Racha at ALL COSTS!

Koh Sichang is accessible from Koh Loy in Sri Racha.
    Sri Racha has a good shopping mall - Robinsons. and many restaurants
    Koh Loy is good for an afternoon - look at temples and have some seafood.

Bang Saen is a Thai (bangkok) w/e resort town - loads of seafood and passable beaches. Beware of monkey mountain - Kao Samut.

Sattahip - south of Pattaya has many beaches

#10 Posted: 17/3/2009 - 10:51

• Advertisement

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

I can suggest more active option instead of just relaxing on the beach :)
    I mean Khao Yai National Park and some other attractions near Khorat (Nakhon Ratchatsima), especially Phimai ("Little Angkor"). IMHO, good trip for 2-3 days...

#11 Posted: 20/3/2009 - 12:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.