Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Bungalow security

Posted by fivesilver on 19/3/2009 at 04:43

I haven't stayed in an island bungalow before and I'm wondering about whether they provide any kind of security.
Does staying in a bungalow mean having to bring anything valuable with you every time you go out? And then, if you go for a swim, leaving someone on the beach to play security guard? )-:

#1 fivesilver has been a member since 3/8/2008. Posts: 39

Posted by Lother on 19/3/2009 at 05:11

They generally have locks on the doors, but realistically, if someone is determined enough to break in, they can get in. It's pretty rare though. Most bungalow operations have a safe of some sort at the reception. Especially on more crowded islands, it's a good idea to keep a constant eye on your belongings at the beach.

#2 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214

Posted by exacto on 19/3/2009 at 06:48

i've often added my own padlock in addition to the one provided by the bungalow operation, but as Lother says, if someone really wants to break into your bungalow, they can.

the fewer valuable you have with you, the less you'll have to worry of course. some bungalows do offer a safe in the reception/office area for things like your passport and even cash. i've stayed in a few places that had in-room safes in the huts, but that's pretty rare.

i also agree with Lother that break ins aren't particularly common. in fact, the only time i've ever had something stolen in thailand was on a non-government bus trip and never at the beach. having said that, i'd be more worried about my valuables growing legs at the beach proper than from my bungalow. it really is a good idea to keep a constant eye on your belongings at the beach, but that is harder to do than it might seem. my wife's solution to that is one of those water-tight wallet containers you wear like a necklace when you are in the water.

hope that helps. cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by fivesilver on 19/3/2009 at 21:17

Thanks guys - pretty much as I thought. I normally don't have much worth stealing with me, but this trip I'll be taking my 'proper' camera and netbook. Fingers crossed, I suppose.

#4 fivesilver has been a member since 3/8/2008. Posts: 39

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/3/2009 at 08:23 admin

A lot of budget places will offer safe-keeping in the reception area (assuming the rooms don't have safes). I'd say you're better off using that than hiding your gear on the beach.

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by amazon_blonde on 24/3/2009 at 08:59

Posted from within Vietnam.

If you're concerned about the security of your camera, iPod, or other goods and don't want to rely on the hotel safe box (because sometimes they're not so safe), you might want to look into PacSafe products. Many people are familiar with the large cages for backpacks, but prior to this trip around SEA we bought one of their travelsafes (http://www.pac-safe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=18) which lets us lock up our cash, passports, iPods etc. and lock it to something secure in the room. It means I don't worry and we haven't had any issues. I wish I had this years ago.

#6 amazon_blonde has been a member since 20/12/2008. Posts: 116

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.