Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bungalow security

• fivesilver

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2008
    Total reviews: 7

I haven't stayed in an island bungalow before and I'm wondering about whether they provide any kind of security.
    Does staying in a bungalow mean having to bring anything valuable with you every time you go out? And then, if you go for a swim, leaving someone on the beach to play security guard? )-:

#1 Posted: 19/3/2009 - 04:43

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

They generally have locks on the doors, but realistically, if someone is determined enough to break in, they can get in. It's pretty rare though. Most bungalow operations have a safe of some sort at the reception. Especially on more crowded islands, it's a good idea to keep a constant eye on your belongings at the beach.

#2 Posted: 19/3/2009 - 05:11

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i've often added my own padlock in addition to the one provided by the bungalow operation, but as Lother says, if someone really wants to break into your bungalow, they can.

the fewer valuable you have with you, the less you'll have to worry of course. some bungalows do offer a safe in the reception/office area for things like your passport and even cash. i've stayed in a few places that had in-room safes in the huts, but that's pretty rare.

i also agree with Lother that break ins aren't particularly common. in fact, the only time i've ever had something stolen in thailand was on a non-government bus trip and never at the beach. having said that, i'd be more worried about my valuables growing legs at the beach proper than from my bungalow. it really is a good idea to keep a constant eye on your belongings at the beach, but that is harder to do than it might seem. my wife's solution to that is one of those water-tight wallet containers you wear like a necklace when you are in the water.

hope that helps. cheers.

#3 Posted: 19/3/2009 - 06:48

• fivesilver

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2008
    Total reviews: 7

Thanks guys - pretty much as I thought. I normally don't have much worth stealing with me, but this trip I'll be taking my 'proper' camera and netbook. Fingers crossed, I suppose.

#4 Posted: 19/3/2009 - 21:17

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

A lot of budget places will offer safe-keeping in the reception area (assuming the rooms don't have safes). I'd say you're better off using that than hiding your gear on the beach.

#5 Posted: 21/3/2009 - 08:23

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

Posted from within Vietnam.

If you're concerned about the security of your camera, iPod, or other goods and don't want to rely on the hotel safe box (because sometimes they're not so safe), you might want to look into PacSafe products. Many people are familiar with the large cages for backpacks, but prior to this trip around SEA we bought one of their travelsafes (http://www.pac-safe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=18) which lets us lock up our cash, passports, iPods etc. and lock it to something secure in the room. It means I don't worry and we haven't had any issues. I wish I had this years ago.

#6 Posted: 24/3/2009 - 08:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.