Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Chiang Dao - trekking, transport, etc

• citizen

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2009

Hello all --

Thinking about heading up to Chiang Dao for a couple of days and doing a short trek.

Has anyone got any experience of trekking out of there? E.g. I was looking at some of the guesthouses in Chiang Dao on here that offer treks - seem very expensive but has anyone used them?

Is it possible to get up there and back in a long day from Chiang Mai - or would an overnight be better? What's the transport like there and back? (believe it's about an hour each way)

Someone I was talking to here in Chiang Mai told me Chiang Dao was quite a 'touristy' place (whatever that means to different people) but keen to here from anyone on here who's been as well!

Msny thanks

#1 Posted: 19/3/2009 - 19:30

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Bus is the easiest way to get there - takes between one and a half and two hours to get there. I'd definitely overnight rather than visit on a day trip. The trekking is more expensive than somewhere like Chiang Mai but the groups are considerably smaller and the area less "trekked-out".

I wouldn't say Chiang Dao was 'touristy' at all but probably lots of differing opinions on that.

#2 Posted: 21/3/2009 - 08:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.