Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Drinking laws!

• scarletina

Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2009

Hiya! Just wondering about the underage drinking laws in thailand, i'm off there by myself and i'm only eighteen and I just learned the drinking age is actually twenty, so was curious to see how strict things are over there, whether I could actually get away with getting into the bars and stuff. I'm off there anyways in two weeks, boozing or no boozing! But yeah, any info would be much appreciated. Cheers.

#1 Posted: 23/3/2009 - 07:10

• Advertisement

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

Things are not strict at all and I would'nt worry about it one little bit.

#2 Posted: 23/3/2009 - 14:35

• cubedweller

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2008

The actual drinking age in Thailand is 20, true, but in practice this only applies to Thais. I have traveled with my younger cousin and his friend (one was 17, the other 18) and never once were they asked for IDs. On the other hand, I have seen many younger Thais turned away.

Don't worry about it. Have fun :)

#3 Posted: 23/3/2009 - 20:55

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

You can probably buy drinks but the problem may be if you get wasted and troublesome you end up in a Thai jail or worse if you are a female.

So, if you behave yourself you will probably get away with it. Don't trust anyone who gets too friendly - male or female - with your unattended drink.

I am an old fart now and I always ask what the price will be before I order a drink in a new place. I check the little receipt that they put in the container on the bar to see if they are overcharging me. Check your bar tabs, if you get soused they may slip a couple more in and you wouldn't know the difference.

Cheapest beer is from supermarkets and Seven Eleven type stores. Next will probably be side walk cafes (like on Sukhumvit Road) and beer bars. Most expensive will be nightclubs.

If you are a female be careful who you meet up with in a bar, they could slip you a roofie, if you get wasted they won't have to! And then 9 months later you have another surprise!

Be careful.

#4 Posted: 23/3/2009 - 21:53

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I've been to several clubs where they do card people - like the Bed Supper Club (which I hated anyway). Bars on the other hand, I've never seen anyone get carded. My son goes all over the place and he's never had anyone check his ID.

I double what Lord Halberd says: Don't get so drunk you don't know what you're doing or you are asking for trouble. If you're a woman, either drink very close to your hotel room or better yet do it in the company of friends, and still don't lose your self control. Bangkok is lots of fun, but it attracts plenty of weirdos too.

#5 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 12:46

• dageshi

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2008

yeah if your 18 your not going to have any worries I don't think. But drinking in a group is generally a good idea, (find yourself the most popular guesthouse in town, stay there, instant friends within 5 minutes).

#6 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 13:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.