Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Cheap but cheerfulish dorm rooms in Bangkok???

• Finn

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2009

hey, I was wondering what the best options for dorm rooms in bangkok were? The cheaper the better but not too gross or notorious for theft; I'd pay a little more to avoid these! Due to illness and finance issues i've lost my travel companions so I'd really like somewhere busy where it's easy to meet other backpackers.

#1 Posted: 26/3/2009 - 12:15

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

The Baan Dinso was just wonderful - a boutique hostel, not a dorm, but inexpensive. I paid 700THB. Almost X from City Hall, and close to KSR.

#2 Posted: 27/3/2009 - 00:31

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

First, how much do you want to spend per night? Thailand might be cheaper than you think. It could be that your budget can even handle a private room.

Suk 11 Hostel has various type rooms from dorm on up to private rooms.
    http://www.suk11.com/

Here is a hotel chain that has some cheaper rooms, Sawasdee Hotel chain.
    http://www.sawasdee-hotels.com/

Good luck.

#3 Posted: 27/3/2009 - 10:15

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Apple II Guest House. I think dorm rooms are around B100, or so. Good spot for meeting backpackers. In a good area, too. Mama, the lady who runs the place, is cool.

#4 Posted: 28/3/2009 - 22:08

• Finn

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2009

Apple II does seem to be my best bet in terms of cheapness. I'd really like to book something just for the convenience of not traipsing round Bangkok with my backpack. I've tried to phone but to no avail, do you think if i just turn up there'd be a place for me??

also, i've found that travelfish say many places have dorms but then their websites don't. Is this because the dorms no longer exist or they just don't advertise them??

thanks for everyone's suggestions! keep them comin!

#5 Posted: 30/3/2009 - 11:41

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Finn,

There is a dorm room there with 4 beds. It's one of the older guest houses in the area and is in a great location. It's not the fanciest place around, but it's pretty funky and old-school. The rooms aren't big or particularly sunny (it's an old family home in a narrow alleyway surrounded by other old homes) but they're good for the price.

No website. I would be very surprised if you showed up there at this time of the year and was not able to get a room. Check the prices of singles, too. They may not be much more expensive. I think that Mama dropped her prices a bit in December because of the low numbers of tourists coming then.

The place is quite secure. They lock the gate at around 9:30 or 10:00 pm and keep a good eye on the place.

Cheers.

#6 Posted: 30/3/2009 - 20:37

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Finn,

Re the disappearing dorms, could be any number of reasons -- including the ones you mention. The cheapest of the cheap generally won't have a website at all. Apple 2, as recommended by Tilapia is a good option.

#7 Posted: 31/3/2009 - 07:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
dorm rooms in ho chi minh ... By brownbum on 5 Jan 2010 2 1929 7 Jan 2010
Krabi rooms on the cheap in peak season - recommendations ... By violetfriday on 24 Aug 2012 3 1615 24 Aug 2012