Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Samui to Ko Pha Ngan?

• dmandel

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2009

Hi,

How hard is it to get from Samui (airport) to Ko Pha Ngan? How long does it take? How frequent are the boats?

Also, if I want to get to Thong Nai Pan Noi on Pha Ngan, how much harder is that?

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 2/4/2009 - 11:30

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Go to this site for Than Mai Pen Rai bungalows on Hat Sadet

MAI PEN RAI www.thansadet.com

- it shows a ferry leaving Bo Phut (or maybe big Budha), (both) near the airport at Samui and travelling up the east coast of Phangan, final destination Thong Nai Pan. One trip per day both directions.

For other ferries to Phangan check this site

http://www.phangan-guide.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=90&limit=1&limitstart=1

Most leave from one of the piers near the airport - a lot go to the main Phangan pier at Thong Sala - where Thong Nai Pan bungalows usually have transport to take you to the beach - last time I went was 100baht but probably more now. You don't have to use the bungalow of your transport.

#2 Posted: 2/4/2009 - 17:10

• autourdumon-
    de3232

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2009

It's very very easy actually~
    The only thing I can add to the above is my personal experience~
    When I did it, my plane came in well past dark and the last boat had already left.. so I grabbed a hotelungalow (can't remember the name but it was about 1km west of the boat dock).. and walked to the boat in the morning (there were I believe 4-5 departures from there each day)..
    I hitched/bummed a ride from a wonderful lady I sat next to on the plane, as there were only a small handful of drivers waiting at night and by the time I was done haggling, they had all gone!
    On the way back to the airport (during the day this time) there was a sawngtheuw waiting at the dock in Samui when the boat came in that shuttled people to the airport..

P.s. the boat dock mentioned was the closest one to the airport, adjacent to/just west of "big buddha beach"~
    The north coast of Samui is a nice place, and there are memorable hikes to the interior from it.. I know it does'nt compare to the secluded spots of PhaNgan, but it is a nice place to hangout for a few days!

Those boats left for Haad Rin.. and from there you could arrange private transport to your beach.. I'm not certain if sawngthaew were running there, but I'm sure a longtail boat could be easily grabbed!
    To get to Thong Sala, the direct boat left more west on Koh Samui.
    Chok Dii!

#3 Posted: 2/4/2009 - 22:35

• dmandel

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2009

Thank you both.

#4 Posted: 3/4/2009 - 23:54

• ellennn

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2009

Great info

#5 Posted: 22/4/2009 - 21:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ko Samui, Ko Tao, Ko Pha Ngan ... By saritac on 3 Feb 2007 1 1795 4 Feb 2007
Phuket/Ko Phi Phi vs. Ko Samui/Ko Pha Ngan ... By annaosully on 22 Apr 2012 3 3828 5 Jan 2013
Where to stay on Ko Samui, Pha Ngan, Tao ... By Travel2008 on 18 Feb 2009 6 7662 15 Jun 2012
Ko Samui - Ko Phan Ngan in 17 days ... By brinner on 2 Jun 2009 1 2325 2 Jun 2009
28 y/old travelling to Koh Samui / Koh Pha-Ngan 6-13th Feb ... By kazab02 on 3 Jan 2012 0 1198 3 Jan 2012
Island Hopping - Ko Samui, Ko Tao and Ko Pha Ngan (Early Nov) ... By theone on 12 Oct 2012 0 1291 12 Oct 2012
Liquor or Beer stores in Samui or Pha Ngan? ... By insearchofsunrise on 6 Sep 2006 5 3207 8 Sep 2006
Travelfish Howto: How do I get from Bangkok to Ko Samui, Ko Pha Ngan and Ko Tao? ... By somtam2000 on 30 Jun 2006 0 2164 30 Jun 2006