Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

violence in nong khai?

• amezella

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2009

I read on wikipedia that there was violence against Westerners in Nong Khai in December of 2008. Can anyone provide context on what is going on here?
    Also, I am thinking of going there in June/July....could anyone advise on "just how rainy" the rainy season is there?
    Thank so much for your help!

#1 Posted: 3/4/2009 - 05:44

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I was there for 4 days in December, 2008, and there was nothing of that sort either before, during, or after my time there that I know of, and I paid attention to the Thai news every day.

Also, I just read about Nong Khai on Wik., and didn't see anything about any violence. Can you post the link where you read this?

#2 Posted: 3/4/2009 - 18:55

• amezella

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2009

Thanks tilapia-- that's good to hear

I actually meant wikitravel http://wikitravel.org/en/Nong_Khai-- sorry about that!

also, do you have a sense of how Nong Khai might feel the impact of the current political unrest? I'm thinking about taking a trip there by myself in June/July.

#3 Posted: 3/4/2009 - 19:45

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Like most places in Thailand, you'd never know that there were problems in Bangkok.

Last year when the airport was closed I was wondering if I would have seen some kind of spillover into other areas of the country. But the only thing that was obvious was low numbers of tourists and some very un-busy businesses.

Two years before when the bombs went off in Bangkok on New Year's Eve, all I noticed was a new police checkpoint on the road from Sangkhlaburi to Kanchanaburi the next day.

"Break-ins and assaults ..." Okay, now I see what you're talking about. I didn't hear anything about this. However, it does not mention if these happened to tourists or ex-pats. When I was there, ex-pats outnumbered tourists, so I would not be surprised if these happened to people living there. And as for walking around at night? Well, you'll just have to see when you get there. I would ignore that "advice." It's a great town for evening strolls, especially along the river.

Nong Khai is a really nice, quiet, easy-going town. You'll like it. And things get nicer if you follow the river west towards Chiang Khan.

#4 Posted: 3/4/2009 - 22:31

• ellennn

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2009

Will give it a try

#5 Posted: 22/4/2009 - 21:47

• kentbird47

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2009

June & July will be wet plus the heat will be stifling! It could rain a few hours a day or all day and night with flooding streets.

#6 Posted: 30/4/2009 - 01:50

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"June & July will be wet plus the heat will be stifling! It could rain a few hours a day or all day and night with flooding streets."

The heat never gets stifling in Thailand. It's never like the East African deserts where I used to live. I've been living in Thailand two years and the heat has never been an issue.

Now wet - well, we once had the remnants of a cyclone come through and it rained for five straight days. That was pretty miserable. And we've had some biblical rain storms as well where the water just came down. But it's June right now, and while we are getting some rain, for the most part it's sunny and pleasant.

In my opinion weather should not be much of a factor in your planning for a vacation here.

As for safety, Thailand is very safe as long as you are polite to everyone. I've lived here for two years (in Mukdahan, southwest of Nong Khai) and don't know a single expat who's had any problem with crime or violence here.

#7 Posted: 7/6/2009 - 14:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ban Mae Rim Nam, Nong Khai ... By exacto on 19 Feb 2010 0 3860 19 Feb 2010
POIPET to NONG KHAI ... By steffanmathias on 7 Jun 2010 1 3557 7 Jun 2010
Aranyaprathet to Nong Khai ... By Layabout on 22 Jul 2008 2 6253 23 Jul 2008
Prachuap or Nong Khai ... By LeonardCohen1 on 14 Mar 2013 11 2003 6 Apr 2013
Nong Khai bars ... By LeonardCohen1 on 23 May 2013 2 1718 26 May 2013
Between Nong Khai and Ayyutthaya ... By Architeuthis on 30 Sep 2009 4 3580 1 Oct 2009
Getting to Nong Khai from Chiang Mai ... By mic59 on 18 Sep 2008 8 14211 6 Jul 2010
Bus from Nong Khai to Chiang Mai? ... By DLuek on 7 Apr 2009 9 13535 1 Feb 2013
Fireball at Nong Khai ... By neosho on 31 Oct 2012 0 1525 31 Oct 2012
Nong Khai to Sukothai ... By swag on 23 Oct 2007 1 4075 23 Oct 2007