Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Southern Thailand - travelling alone, what to do with valuables?

• wheelse

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009

Hi All,

I'll be a solo female traveler at the beaches in southern thailand for a few weeks in July - and was looking how others have handled going swimming, etc with no one to watch your stuff...

I'm afraid to leave my passport back at the hostel/hotel but certainly don't want to leave it unattended on the beach...how do folks handle this generally?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 6/4/2009 - 11:59

• Advertisement

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

Hi Wheelse.If you're at a reputable hostel/hotel they will look after it for you.It will be locked away in a safety deposit box.That is safer than taking it to the beach with you.

#2 Posted: 6/4/2009 - 15:52

• wheelse

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009

Thanks!

What are your thoughts on Krabi vs. Phuket? I'm leaning toward Krabi since I could get to Ko Phi Phi or Ao Dong. This is my first time in Southern Thailand, although I've done Bangkok and Northern Thailand. I'll have about 10 days.

#3 Posted: 7/4/2009 - 10:24

• dageshi

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2008

wheelse, put your valuables in your bag, padlock the bag and chain the bag to something immovable in the room. The huge majority of thefts are opportunistic aka you leave some cash lying about, or people nose through your bags, if they can't see it they can't be tempted.

Personally I do this with my laptop, camera, passport e.t.c your *far* more likely to have something like that stolen from the beach than your room.

#4 Posted: 7/4/2009 - 13:32

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Like the others, I would suggest leaving your passport at the hostel/hotel. However if you are still concerned, you can get one of those small waterproof pouches and put youru stuff in that, and carry it around your neck while swimming.

I use one for my small camera when snorkelling so I know it's 100% waterproof.

I think, however, if you are just generally swimming and frolicking in the waves you might tend to find it a nuisance. But it's an option for you to consider.

#5 Posted: 8/4/2009 - 03:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.