Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Southern Thailand - travelling alone, what to do with valuables?

Posted by wheelse on 6/4/2009 at 11:59

Hi All,

I'll be a solo female traveler at the beaches in southern thailand for a few weeks in July - and was looking how others have handled going swimming, etc with no one to watch your stuff...

I'm afraid to leave my passport back at the hostel/hotel but certainly don't want to leave it unattended on the beach...how do folks handle this generally?

Thanks!

#1 wheelse has been a member since 6/4/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by Thaiman on 6/4/2009 at 15:52

Hi Wheelse.If you're at a reputable hostel/hotel they will look after it for you.It will be locked away in a safety deposit box.That is safer than taking it to the beach with you.

#2 Thaiman has been a member since 12/11/2008. Posts: 201

Posted by wheelse on 7/4/2009 at 10:24

Thanks!

What are your thoughts on Krabi vs. Phuket? I'm leaning toward Krabi since I could get to Ko Phi Phi or Ao Dong. This is my first time in Southern Thailand, although I've done Bangkok and Northern Thailand. I'll have about 10 days.

#3 wheelse has been a member since 6/4/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by dageshi on 7/4/2009 at 13:32

wheelse, put your valuables in your bag, padlock the bag and chain the bag to something immovable in the room. The huge majority of thefts are opportunistic aka you leave some cash lying about, or people nose through your bags, if they can't see it they can't be tempted.

Personally I do this with my laptop, camera, passport e.t.c your *far* more likely to have something like that stolen from the beach than your room.

#4 dageshi has been a member since 1/3/2008. Posts: 56

Posted by busylizzy on 8/4/2009 at 03:01

Like the others, I would suggest leaving your passport at the hostel/hotel. However if you are still concerned, you can get one of those small waterproof pouches and put youru stuff in that, and carry it around your neck while swimming.

I use one for my small camera when snorkelling so I know it's 100% waterproof.

I think, however, if you are just generally swimming and frolicking in the waves you might tend to find it a nuisance. But it's an option for you to consider.

#5 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.