Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Help me plan my 3 week trip!

• annak07

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2009

Hi, I'll be going to Thailand from the 15th of June till the 6th of July.
    My current plan is :

15th-19th = Bangkok (I'd like to go to Ayattaya and Kanchanaburi as well..are these best done as day trips from Bangkok, or can I travel from BK to Kanchanaburi and then onwards to Chiang Mai ?)
    20th - 26th = Chiang Mai (I'd also like to go to Pai and Mae Hong Son, but I'm not sure if it's better to just spend more time in CM instead of constantly travelling?) Im thinking of getting an overnight train from BK.
    27th = back in BK..take a flight to Krabi, from there I'd like to just cover Rai Leh and Koh Phi Phi briefly. As I understand, it's better to go to the East coast during the wet season, so i dont want to spend too much time here..
    30th = from krabi get a flight/train/ferry (which is best?) to Ko Samui and from there go to Koh Phangan or stay on Mae Nam beach and perhaps go to Chaweng beach for a day?
    6th = flight back to BK..?

Does this sound ok? I'd like to see a bit of Bangkok, Ayutthaya and Kanchanaburi..but then spend a decent amount of time in Chiang Mai to do some trekking, elephant rides, waterfalls, etc..and then I'd like at least a week at the beach (ko samui) without having to constantly travel..but I feel like I must include Krabi/Koh Phi Phi as well!!

Any tips will be appreciated :-)

#1 Posted: 9/4/2009 - 18:33

• Advertisement

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

If you do all that you say you want to do then yes,you're right-you'll be spending an awful lot of time travelling.And travelling in Thailand can be both time consuming and exhausting especially if you're not used to the conditions.Far better to sit down and decide what you really want to see and do and stick to that.What you cut out this time perhaps you can save for a future trip.And no,you can't go from Kanchanaburi to Chiang Mai,at least not by train, you have to return to Bangkok and even change railway stations.Probably can do it by bus but I really don't know.Hope this helps.

#2 Posted: 10/4/2009 - 14:27

• annak07

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2009

Thanks for your help. Ok, what if I dont go to Pai and Mae Hong Son and just stay in CM? I'm also thinking of cutting out Krabi/Koh Phi Phi, since I want to go to Koh Samui/Koh Tao/Koh Phan gnan, and theyre on opposites end of the country. Is Koh Phi Phi really worth it??
    also, do you know if I need anti-malarials? It looks like the only risky place is Koh Phan gnan???
    Thanks!

#3 Posted: 10/4/2009 - 16:34

• annak07

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2009

Oh god, I was going to book flights in the next few days, but now I'm not sure if I should?! I was looking to go to Thailand in mid-June...not sure if it'll be safe?! Maybe I should get flights to somewhere like Mayasia and then if the situation improves, get a flight from KL to Bangkok, and if not, go to another place..such as Bali or Vietnam, etc??

#4 Posted: 13/4/2009 - 19:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
A week off to Malaysia .. need help in reviewing my plan ... By skanthb on 27 Sep 2010 2 1861 29 Sep 2010
Any tips on my 7 week travel plan?? ... By kelpeta on 23 Nov 2007 3 3634 25 Jan 2008