Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Islands off the beaten track - which best for xmas 09?

• alexlazarus

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2008

Hi All,

We are planning to travel to Thailand this comign Christmas after having such an amazing time there at NY just gone. We covered Kanchanaburi, Ayttaya, Ko Mak & Koh Kood last time, and i was hoping for some advice for this year!

The plan is to travel south and explore the islands down there. We really enjoyed the feel and atmosphere of Koh Mak so we'd be looking for similar - quiet, laid back, not busy, and accomodation between 400-600 per night. We stayed at more expensive places last time as well, but didn't like the feel! Plus, i dont like spending 70 baht on a beer!

I'd like to avoid Samui, but have heard the some places on Panyang and Tao are really nice and quite secluded - is this info out of date? I've onyl been there in wet season, and it wasn't my favourite! Dave would like to go diving too.

Any and all suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks in advance,
    Alex

#1 Posted: 15/4/2009 - 00:18

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Alex,

We're looking for exactly the same thing on our planned trip to Thailand over Christmas 2009. So far we've been looking seriously at Ko Mak, so I'd love to hear more about the good time you had there, and if you think it is a good spot for Christmas and NYE this year.

As for down south, we've also been looking at little Ko Chang and Phayam islands just off the coast of Ranong, but we are also thinking about the islands off the Trang coast.

Frankly, I think the information on Travelfish is quite excellent, but we've also been using the wonderful blog by tezza, which has some of the most unbiased and detailed information I've seen anywhere. Just find one of his posts and follow the link to his blog. If you do, please be sure to give my regards to his surfboard caddy. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 15/4/2009 - 09:06

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Surfboard caddy says stay cool, EX, everything comes to he who waits. What I want to konw is HOW LONG????

ALEX, maybe you could check WHICH ISLANDS AND BEACHES in the link below for LAID BACK and WAY LAID BACK and then go to TRAVELFISH'S island reports and user inputs on those places that float your boat.

#3 Posted: 19/4/2009 - 14:14

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Seems a bit presumptuous of Tezza to tell the OP to check out his own website BEFORE looking at the very comprehensive and frequently updated information on Travelfish!

#4 Posted: 20/4/2009 - 03:47

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ko Muk off Trang is a fine option, as are Ko Sukorn, Ko Libong and I've heard of a few new backpacker style joints opening on Ko Kradan. Well worth considering.

#5 Posted: 20/4/2009 - 08:57

• alexlazarus

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2008

HI All,

Thanks for your replies - i will be sure to check out the islands you all mention.
    Another question - we arrive in Bangkok at 18.30 on the 12th of December and were hoping not to spend the night in Bangkok. What would you all suggest? We are happy to travel the interior for a few days on our way down to the islands...

Exacto - sorry for the dealy in replying to your post. I would absolutely recommend Ko Mak and Ko Kood for christmas and New Year! We spend 5 days on Ko Mak - 2 nights in Pano and then 3 nights in Suchanaree, the altter of which i absolutely loved. Cold water, and fairly basic bungalows, but great beach and lovely people. Good, inepxensive food too. We hired a bike and spend a couple of evenings down at Buri Hut chewing the cud with Stan (the American owner) which was fab - the man has had an interesting life.
    On Ko Kood we stayed at a super little flashpacker place run by Papa Joe. I can't rememeber the name of it at the moment (will check with DP) but it was only 500 per night, great food, really laid back atmosphere. Hardly a beach to speak of, but again, we hired a bike and scooted round the island for 4 days. Seriously, if you want a laid back, quiet but absolutely amazing time then go to these 2 islands! Remember to take cash with you though, as there are no banking facilities on either - having said that, if you've got dollars, Stan would definately be able to sort you out!

#6 Posted: 22/4/2009 - 15:05

• ellennn

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2009

Try khoa lak, its a great place

#7 Posted: 22/4/2009 - 21:41

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

alex,

thanks for the additional info. good stuff! suchanaree is definitely one of the koh maak options that caught our eye too.

if you haven't yet, you might also want to read the Travelfish feature story on the islands off Trang. you can see it at:

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/135

arriving in bangkok at 1830 might give you time to get to the hualamphong train station to catch the last train heading south at 2250 or so. but even that would be cutting it close, even if your flight arrives on time and you make it through the airport and bangkok traffic without too much trouble.

another option, if you really want to avoid staying in bangkok that night, would be to head directly to the southern bus station and catch a bus heading south.

a third option might be to book a connecting flight to the south, but trying to fly that late in the day will likely limit your options to samui or phuket.

by the way, one of the best parts of tezza's blog is the which island or beach? section. it helps define the look and feel of all the different islands so you can easily narrow down your research to the types of places you are seeking. great stuff. if you head back that way, please be sure to extend my regards to tezza's surfboard mechanic as well. cheers.

#8 Posted: 22/4/2009 - 21:54

• nathantrave-
    ler

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2009
    Total reviews: 25

Hi, last Christmas I was in Ko Maak (or Ko Mak), in Suchanaree resort. The place is just ok.I got bungalow 4. No hot water, no sink, toilet has to throw water to flush, no bed, mattress in the floor. fan, mosquito net. THB500/night. ThereĀ“s a Brit resident there, Garey, very nice, friendly and helpful. the beach is very nice, with coconut trees, soft beige sand,calm warm clear acquamarine water. and you can do a short day trip to Ko Kham, just 10 minutes by boat. check the Ko Maak page here, you can see some of my pics there.

#9 Posted: 23/4/2009 - 23:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Somewhere a little off the beaten track between Hue and Da Lat? ... By jacquelinehope on 5 Jan 2012 1 2314 7 Jan 2012
Help getting off the beaten track ... By soontobewrldtrv on 24 Mar 2012 12 6465 31 Mar 2012
Off The Beaten Track ... By nutmeg47 on 25 May 2006 7 2595 17 Jun 2009
Off the beaten track in Nan province ... By vientianepmc on 25 Nov 2006 0 1883 25 Nov 2006
Cambodia off the beaten track ... By rocketgirl on 26 Oct 2007 10 5057 2 Jan 2008
Off the beaten track - Cambodia or Laos? ... By wheretogo on 2 Jul 2013 24 5288 12 Jul 2013
Off the beaten track : places to recommend ... By millionario on 6 Sep 2009 22 9930 3 Jun 2010
Yang Tone Farmstay, Chiang Dao - off the beaten track ... By 73Chip on 10 Feb 2008 0 3340 10 Feb 2008
Travelling around Phuket, many islands and beaches... on and off the beaten path! ... By Mexicano31 on 5 Aug 2010 0 1732 5 Aug 2010
Thailand Islands over xmas ... By treanoc on 28 Oct 2013 1 631 29 Oct 2013