Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Direct from Chiang Mai to Phuket - how far in advance?

• hospitalbed

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2009

Hi guys.

Flying into Thailand quickly here, and changing up our plans to avoid BKK as much as possible. The original idea was to sleeper train from CM down to BKK, then work our way south and go island hopping. With the current advice out there to avoid Bangkok, we are thinking of flying direct from CM to Phuket , and working our way through the islands with Phuket as a starting point.

I've googled/resarched that their is one direct flight per day from CM to Phuket, the rest have a stop in BKK. The research also states to book fairly early as this flight may sell out quick.

Any idea how early one needs to book? 3-5 days? 2 weeks?

Any advice is appreciated! thanks guys.

#1 Posted: 18/4/2009 - 02:48

• Advertisement

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi, Wouldn't worry too much about avoiding BKK, train sounds fine to BKK and then train down to Phuket (well you change at Surat Thani and get a bus for the last part), or fly from BKK to Phuket. Cheapest flights by far that I've found is Airasia, but if you want to fly with them I think you'd have to change in BKK. Their web sites will show you whcih flights are available.

I'm currently in Kanchanburi and will be making my way back to BKK in the next 2 weeks. Bangkok is no stranger to tanks!

#2 Posted: 18/4/2009 - 20:31

• hospitalbed

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2009

thanks mike!

#3 Posted: 21/4/2009 - 09:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Air Asia to offer direct Chiang Mai - Phuket flights ... By Captain_Bob on 4 Nov 2009 4 2923 5 Nov 2009
fly direct from Laos to Phuket? ... By londonalbion on 2 Jan 2007 1 2500 2 Jan 2007