Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Cell Phone Help (Thai, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Laos)

Posted by jeffneil on 25/4/2009 at 05:39

I am planning a trip June and July (2009) to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, and Indonesia (With a few day stop over in Japan) and I am trying to find good advice on a cell phone. I currently have an Apple iPhone with AT&T from the U.S. and I really don't want to pay for roaming charges the entire time. I do have other phones available to me or I can unlock my iPhone. I am trying to see if I should get a different sim card for every country and can i do that ahead of time?

Or should I rent a cell phone from a travel company?

I basically need a somewhat reliable...but more importantly cheep option. Any advice is helpful thanks!

#1 jeffneil has been a member since 25/4/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 25/4/2009 at 07:38 admin

I'd think the cheapest way would be to buy local sim cards as you go - I've got a coin jar half full of Thai, Indonesian and Vietnamese sims -- very inexpensive and as they're all prepaid it's easy to keep on top of the cost. No need to do ahead of time -- just pop into a local convenience store (eg 7-eleven in Thailand) upon arrival and pick one up.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by jeffneil on 25/4/2009 at 08:26

Thanks for your help!

#3 jeffneil has been a member since 25/4/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by truesd10 on 25/4/2009 at 22:10

That is good to know. I had the same question as I have a blackberry storm and had unlocked it - I think - right now. I am traveling through Thailand and Cambodia in July and August and wanted to make sure the phones will work. So just as long as it is unlocked you can place a new sim card in and the phone will work? How do you know it is unlocked? Should I test it out in the States by putting a new sim card in the phone and seeing if it works? Sorry, just wanted to make sure the phone will work once out of the country. Thanks for the advice!

#4 truesd10 has been a member since 20/4/2009. Location: United States. Posts: 11

Posted by Lother on 26/4/2009 at 02:56

Yeah, a Blackberry Storm will work just perfect as long as it's unlocked. You can test it beforehand e.g. with a SIM card from a friend who has a different operator.

#5 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214

Posted by truesd10 on 26/4/2009 at 03:18

Thanks Lother - makes sense. I will test it out.

#6 truesd10 has been a member since 20/4/2009. Location: United States. Posts: 11

Posted by jeffneil on 26/4/2009 at 03:27

To my best knowledge the storm is only available in the states with verizon. That means it is a CDMA phone and doesn't take a sim
card, the only other network it will work on
if it is unlocked is sprint ( another CDMA ) network. Verizon has a very limited amount of countries that will support CDMA even if u wanted to use international roaming. I would recommend buying a GO Phone from AT&T at walmart, it is the prepaid one, then unlock that and use it.

#7 jeffneil has been a member since 25/4/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by truesd10 on 26/4/2009 at 03:32

I have a Sim card for the Storm and it is capable of using a 3G network when not on a Verizon sim card. The Storm is also in the UK under Vodophone so I think as long as I can make sure it is unlocked it will be fine. When I check it I will let you know if it works.

#8 truesd10 has been a member since 20/4/2009. Location: United States. Posts: 11

Posted by altmtl on 20/12/2012 at 08:11

I always get a local sim card.

But a friend just asked me if she could rely on local pay phones while travelling, what do you thinkk - in Thailand for example?

#9 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by sayadian on 20/12/2012 at 13:42

I know Thai payphones are reliable and instructions are sometimes in English. Cambodia has no pay phones but don't worry you just go to a shop or stall and use their phone and pay a small charge.I don't know how much a international call would cost you so best get a SIM, I recommend Hello at 7 cents a minute to Europe. Also, you can buy a second hand phone for $20 in Cambodia.
I don't know about Vietnam.

#10 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.