Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Rooms per person or flat rate?

• jsham84

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2009

Sorry I know this has probably been posted a billion time but I looked for a long time and couldn't find it. Anyways I was just wondering if rooms in Thailand and in southest asia in general are usually paid per person or by a flat rate? Thanks for any help!

#1 Posted: 8/5/2009 - 21:14

• Advertisement

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

jsham84

It depends on what you ask for.

If you ask for a room rate, you'll be told a room rate. Normally, accommodation providers use a room rate. It's only stupid western marketing people who adopt the per person rate.

So, just ask for the price of the room, and ask what is provided in that room. As odd as it may sound, there is a huge variety of 'provisioning' in accommodation rooms across SE Asia. So, after determining a price for room, you may be advised to ask also questions like...

type/size of bed,
    air con or fan,
    window,
    smoking/non-smoking,
    is breakfast included (if so, what),
    does the room face onto a noisy street, etc.,
    etc.

Hope this helps

Cheers

#2 Posted: 9/5/2009 - 04:55

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

You can always ask for a discount or better price if you stay longer. What have you got to lose in asking for a better deal? Try to inspect the room first because hotels often try to unload the worse rooms first. I ask if I can check a couple rooms out and then choose between the two of them.

I always check to see how the lighting is, I like a bright room and some of those 25 watt bulbs don't do it. If the room is basically okay I may opt to spend a whole 25 baht on a bulb with more wattage. I like to be able to read sometimes. Check the TV out in the room too to see if it works. Check the refrigerator for mold and to see if it works. I often purchase some bleach and sterilize the bathroom a little and do a little clean up in a cheap place that I get with a good price and will be there a while.

Good luck.

#3 Posted: 10/5/2009 - 01:03

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

i hate air-con and have on the odd occasion got a discount by not using the air - they can usually immobilise it.

#4 Posted: 12/5/2009 - 12:49

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

ALWAYS per room not per person.

#5 Posted: 23/5/2009 - 13:17

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

One other point -- in the older "Chinese-style" hotels, what is often called a single room, often has two single beds -- meaning it can sleep two.

As others have noted, the hostel booking websites (like Hostel World and Hostel Bookers -- both of whom we work with) price rooms on a per person basis. While this may reflect the real world in the EU, it doesn't in Asia and they should really display their prices on a per room basis -- unless they're talking about dorms of course, in which case a per person rate is perfectly accessible.

#6 Posted: 25/5/2009 - 09:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.