Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Quiet beach for 1 week trip in June

• worldchaski

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2009

Hi,
    Im going to Thailand for 2 weeks with my girlfriend in June 10. I will go 4 days in BKK and other 5 in Chiang Mai and I would like to spend 5-7 days on a nice beach with good mid price bungalow accomodation. Im looking for a bungalow near the beach in a not so crowded place(I mean people and business). I dont mind to be away from main routes. As for the waters I know that the winds sometimes create big waves so I would prefer a calm water beach. I know that June is already into the moonson so maybe Koh Chang and Andaman Coast are out of the question. I thought about Koh Samui but as far as I know almost the whole beach front lines is a collection of small resorts and the natural feeling and beauty of the beach is lost in the crowd of buildings. I know that Koh Chang is more or less what I would like, a more relax place with
    not so crowded beach front lines, with more space but the 900mm average rain in June is too much. So, I would like to ask for any suggestions on islands and beaches.Thanks

#1 Posted: 10/5/2009 - 01:26

• Advertisement

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

worldchaski

have you looked at the accommodation options described here on Travelfish? If not, go to:

http://www.travelfish.org/country/thailand

click on any of the locations that may interest you, then search the 'Accommodation' section.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 10/5/2009 - 08:58

• donnavan

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2009

Ko Lanta is pretty impressive and not an 18-30's booze cruise like some of the other islands. I stayed in Kantiang Bay which was just incredible. They've got a website www.kantiang-bay.com which has all the occommodation options and stuff. The beach is possibly the most beautiful i've seen in a while and it's pretty easy to find a section all to yourself!

#3 Posted: 10/5/2009 - 16:59

• worldchaski

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2009

Thanks for the Koh Lanta idea,but I think is pretty rainy in June, isnt it?

#4 Posted: 10/5/2009 - 18:55

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Yes, might be. Have you looked at Ko Tao and Ko Phangan?

#5 Posted: 10/5/2009 - 23:18

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

worldchaski

In your initial post, you asked about beaches and accommodation. And, you acknowledged that your time in SE Asia is smack bang in the monsoon season.

I live on one of the best beaches in the world, and it isn't in SE Asia.

Some days, the beach where I live is absolutely awesome. Other days, it's 'washed out' (as we say, here).

You have raised 2 points:

1. a search for a good beach that isn't too commercial/crowded,

2. a beach that has clean water and without big waves, etc.

As most of SE Asia is located in the tropical / sub-tropical region, all beaches close to the mainland will be exposed to sedimentary inflows (that is, the silt waste from rivers). In the wet season, and for some time thereafter, the river discharges will produce tons of sediment that will permanently 'cloud' all the waters of the Gulf of Thailand, and to a lesser extent, the Andaman Sea. Later, when the weather produces warm sunny windless days, and the wave action becomes minimal, these sediments will subside and settle into the top sand layer.

In areas closer to the mainland in the Gulf - from Ko Samet to Ko Kut, - when there is plenty of wind, the beach waters will be very cloudy. But, being closish to the coast, the wave heights mostly won't be too high. This cloudiness will minimise after a few windless and waveless days. But, during these times, if the wind 'picks up' it produces waves that stir up the water to bring the sediment back up.

The area of Ko Tau through to Ko Samui will have less sedimentary influence, but being more exposed to south-easterly winds, the wave heights 'can' be larger on the more exposed beaches. The islands on the western side of Phuket can be cleaner (ie less sediment) but exposed to south-westerly winds.

But, that said, you could experience a week during the monsoon period where there is little or no wind, serial sunny days (with maybe afternoon showers), and a magical experience.

During the monsoon period, there is no specific 'right' place to be. It very much depends on the weather for the day/week.

With the above in mind, it is not necessarily the number of people that use a beach that contributes to water clarity (although it can have a minor impact), rather, it is the environmental and weather characteristics.

A crowded beach on a day when the water is crystal clear and the sun lovely and warm is great. And, it happens. A crowdless beach when the water clarity is yuk doesn't quite make it for me.

With this in mind, rather than get statements from people who have been to a beach on a 'perfect' day and wax lyrical, work out the environmental characteristics of the locations you may be visiting, and then consider the weather situation.

That, I suggest, will give you a better opportunity to get what you want.

Cheers

#6 Posted: 11/5/2009 - 04:13

• mermaidtrav-
    eller

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009

During June, you can expect some rain on the West Coast of Thailand - but in my experience it tends to typically rain very hard for 30 - 60 mins, once per day (usually at the same time each day and often at night) and then the rest of the day is beautifully sunny, with blue skies etc.
    Of course you can get lucky and not see a single drop of rain during your visit, but equally it could rain non-stop for a day or two.
    Monsoon rain is very dramatic and fun to be in.
    Try to choose a beach that is not directly west facing, then the waves will be less as the beach will be sheltered from the brunt of the weather.
    Kantiang Bay in the south of Ko Lanta is worth considering as you can usually swim on the beach year-round and it is quiet, relaxed and still has plenty of undeveloped jungle areas on the beach.

#7 Posted: 18/5/2009 - 22:28

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Think about Thung Wua beach at Chumphon.
    It is totally unspoiled and they do not allow jet skis or any business to operate on the beach (so no Thai massages, no touts, no sellers.), no girlie bars or loud music allowed! It does get a little busy at weekends with Thais, but it is their country!

The beach is a few kilometers long with a road along side. beach, bars & restaurants on one side of the road and accommodation on the other.

We paid 400 baht for a big, clean bungalow with hot water and fan. i could have thrown a stone and hit the beach!.
    Have a good trip wherever you end up!

#8 Posted: 22/5/2009 - 15:23

• yosawee

Joined Travelfish
    6th May, 2010

If you come to Koh Chang(Chang Island). I'd recommend you to visit Chantaburi province, along the way to go there. Here is a quiet beach name Chaolao Beach. You can also visit Ao Khung Kraben Development Study Center under the advice of His Majesty the King where is the 850 metreslong bridge built by Hopea Adorata passes through the unspoiled slush-forest and various kinds of fauna and flora can be found on both sides. Lots of tropical fruits garden you can visit and try it fresh.
    For more about accommodations : www.chivareehotelandresort.com
    If you wanna stay for a long period of time, please contact to this e-mail: aintawat@yahoo.com

#9 Posted: 6/5/2010 - 11:00

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

June usually sees best weather in the southern Gulf - different wet season, normally Oct into Jan.
    East coasts of Phangan and Tao are sheltered from monsoon winds on those blowier days (maybe 20-25% of the time) but other areas are usually quite okay.
    See TRAVELFISH's guides for nice beaches, but I like all the beaches/bays on the east coast of both (and SE Corner of Tao) - but maybe Thong Nai Pan on Phangan is getting a bit busy these days. We aint even thinking of Had Rin East (although there is nothing wrong with the beach for people who don't mind busy).

Closer to Bangkok, Ko Samet tends to be drier than most in mid year. Nice island - Ao Nuan is most laid back of budget beaches (although the one resort there is arguably overpriced), Ao Thian/Lung Dam is a nice one and my favourite, Ao Pudsa/Putsa/Tubtim is not busy.

#10 Posted: 6/5/2010 - 17:40

• Advertisement

• jeremybrstl

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2010

I would recommend your [url=http://www.bangkok-accommodation.com]Bangkok Accommodation[/url] somewhere in Sukhumvit Road but if you're romantic, why not take up a hotel along the banks of the Chao Phraya river?

#11 Posted: 7/5/2010 - 18:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
11 week backpack trip June -Aug 2012 ... By leah7728 on 14 Feb 2012 6 2851 28 Feb 2012
8 week trip to Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam in June-August...your thoughts and help please? ... By mrnice88 on 25 Apr 2010 5 4653 5 Jul 2010
quiet beach somewhere? ... By fishtails04 on 4 Mar 2008 7 6826 6 May 2010
After some help finding a quiet island in June-July... ... By EddieWalker on 1 Feb 2014 3 1026 4 Feb 2014
Quiet & clean beach near Bangkok ... By rskeisuke on 11 May 2011 7 5310 12 May 2011
Nice and quiet beach accommodation? ... By Sampan on 22 Dec 2011 0 1300 22 Dec 2011
Looking for quiet accom on the beach in South Vietnam! ... By jmac on 15 Jul 2009 2 2670 15 Jul 2009
Quiet beach on Kho Phangan's sunset side ... By thaibeachlovers on 12 Jun 2006 2 2209 13 Jun 2006
Good quiet beach near Railay or Phuket?? ... By LauraJ87 on 3 Jul 2012 16 3929 15 Jul 2012
where is a beautiful and quiet beach in thailand? also we can dive? ... By meda on 24 Mar 2009 2 2815 30 Mar 2009