Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

which parts of thailand to visit first/ last with weather in mind

• julesone

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2009

I will be travelling through Thailand from the end of October til just before Christmas and was hoping for some inside information about which parts of the country to visit first and last as, I'm aware that different monsoons effect different parts of Thailand at different times in the year. I am hoping to visit Chiang Mai and perhaps do some trekking as well as visit the southern islands on both sides of the penninsular.

Much help, knowledge and advice about weather patterns will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance julian

#1 Posted: 12/5/2009 - 03:04

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

If you click on "Thailand" at the top of the page there's lots of general information including this very useful interactive weather map!

http://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

Weather is weather but I've noticed when flying into Thailand that from the air the clouds seem less dense up north than down south in October...could be pure coincidence mind you! The advantage of trekking just after the rainy season is that rivers will be full ...so if you're into white water rafting that's a good time to go.

The Gulf side might be a bit wet all the time you're there I'm afraid but the west coast should be going into dry season by early November.

#2 Posted: 12/5/2009 - 03:30

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

julesone

As SBE notes 'weather is weather'.

Coastal areas tend to erceive scattered showers before the wet season, and well after it (sort of) finishes. That doesn't mean it's wet. Rather, it can have days where there are showers.

Further inland, the rain of the wet depends on large monsoonal (tropical) low pressure 'banks'.

I doubt you'll have many rained out days.

As for trekking, did you look at the other 'options' here at Travelfish? Go to:

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/138

I suggest you look at this page as the Chiang Mai area has had hordes of tourists go 'trekking' there for decades. In a funny sort of way, it's sort of like trying to trek in the main street of your home town: it may be novel for the trekker, but the locals have seen it all before...

Also, check out the other 'stories' at Travelfish at:

http://www.travelfish.org/feature

Have a great time.

cheers

#3 Posted: 12/5/2009 - 06:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Am I out of my mind? Driving in Thailand... ... By smudglette on 29 Sep 2010 10 1460 1 Oct 2010
Flooding in parts of Northern / Central Thailand ... By DLuek on 6 Sep 2014 3 659 21 Sep 2014