Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

4 week Itinerary

• freedlabel

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2009

Hello all,

Travelling to s.e. asia in a week, for about 4 weeks. Starting off in Ho Chih Minh city, going up north to Hanoi, and then crossing over to Laos, then into Thailand, and then finishing off at Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Can anyone recommend a good itinerary based on the above? Thanks!

#1 Posted: 17/5/2009 - 15:52

• Advertisement

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

freedlabel

For me, you'll have a great time in buses, transport waiting rooms, etc., etc. What you'll actually experience while in SE Asia for 4 weeks is anyone's guess. Maybe meet plenty of other western tourists while on buses, maybe meet them again at pubs in & around the GH's in the places you choose to sleep in between bus stops....

My message is you are planning too much time to be spent travelling and not nearly enough time allocated for EXPERIENCING SE Asia.

You say you're starting at Saigon, but don't say where you'll be departing SE Asia (also Saigon?). That piece of info might help.

The fist idea I'd suggest is go look at:

http://www.travelfish.org/travel-planning/less-is-more

And, then:

http://www.travelfish.org/travel-planning/dont-over-plan

After that, I'd suggest you look at a possible route suggestion at:

http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/laos-vietnam-cambodia

In this page, you'll see Travelfish recommend starting at Bangkok and finishing in Vientiane. In your case, I'd start at Saigon, head to Vientiane, then fly to Siem Reap before heading back to Saigon (assuming that's your departure destination). But, this 'tour' is largely a city based tour. That means you'll see cities, not the countryside (where the REAL SE Asia resides).

There are many similar 'trip planner' suggestions. They are all located in the little box (centre of page) in the grey area (upper part of page) with the heading 'Before You Leave'. Scroll through and get some ideas.

If you do this, you may be able to see that enjoying yourself means travelling less (and enjoying more) choosing smart travel options, and being VERY flexible.

Also, check out the Travelfish accommodation options. Go to a country (eg. Laos), click on the accommodation link and then the cities listed.

Hope all this helps.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 18/5/2009 - 07:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.