Thailand forum

Claims of Police 'corruption' in Phuket

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Some may be aware of the plight of an Australian being held in a Phuket jail following what has been described as a 'prank' gone wrong:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/travel/travel-news/nightmare-in-phuket-after-bar-prank-20090519-be9j.html

Following this, more stories have emerged of foreigners (apparently) on the wrong end of the Thai legal 'process'. For example:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/travel/travel-news/return-to-phuket-turns-into-holiday-from-hell-20090519-be71.html

An issue here for all visitors to SE Asia is that the 'traditional' means by which gov't employees gain 'pocket money' is being restricted due to the 'Great Recession'.

This suggests a 'message': be careful in what you do and how you go about it.

Cheers

#1 Posted: 20/5/2009 - 12:15

• Advertisement

• Joshq

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

I totally agree Brucemoon. When travelling in any country, respect has to be shown for their people and the legal system to which the country has.

Unfortunately, as extreme as this case is, a petty crime was committed.

On this subject - I think everyone should boycott the bar involved. The Aussie Bar in Phuket. The owner seems like a douche. It's a bar mat for gods sake. I certainly won't be gracing the Aussie Bar with my presence.

#2 Posted: 20/5/2009 - 12:47

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Corruption in Thailand, are you mad?

But seriously, the lesson here it seems is 'DONT STEAL A BAR MATT'.

Put it in the bag for a joke? lol.

#3 Posted: 20/5/2009 - 19:25

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

according to the article linked above, bar owner Steve Wood did not press charges for the theft/prank/whatever; I don't think this was ultimately about the attempted theft of the silly barmat, seems like a case of face-saving for the boys in brown when she did a runner on them and/or allegedly "abused" said coppers. And while she may have been innocent of the theft, I'm not sure she's really acknowledged that just maybe she might have been a drunken fool while dealing with the police, and this is what really landed her in the hot water. Thankfully, she's free now to go home to her kids, with an expedited trial, a guilty plea to the theft and a fine of 1000THB: http://phuketwan.com/tourism/freed-aussie-mum-says-glad-11137/

#4 Posted: 20/5/2009 - 23:59

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

As CunningMcFar says the drunken-beer-mat-nicker has gone home.

As others have mentioned, get out of control, do something stupid and abuse the Thai police is not particularly intelligent behaviour.

#5 Posted: 21/5/2009 - 07:42

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

Unfortunately too many tourists go to places such as Phuket,Pattaya etc and forget they are in a Foreign Country. Think they can get away with anything even if it was a silly prank.Perhaps Mr Wood is just sick of having bar mats stolen.

#6 Posted: 21/5/2009 - 15:55

• mic59

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2008
    Total reviews: 5

This just raises the topic again of some overseas tourists feeling that as they are on holiday in a south-east asian country they can do what they want. They should ask themselves how would they feel if Thais came on holiday here and abused our police and walked into our art galleries, churches and museums in swimming gear? And it must be remembered that most of these people are highly religious so what we see as acceptable they may object to. Thais being naturally friendly people will not raise objections but they should always be treated with respect.

#7 Posted: 21/5/2009 - 19:36

• Thaiman

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

You've got it spot on Mic

#8 Posted: 22/5/2009 - 04:03

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Mic - I’m sorry but I have to disagree completely with this post.

In ALL countries holidaymakers are out to have a good time – and they can go a little over the top – we don’t know HOW over the top this woman was at first.

Abusing police?? – The Thai police are not what we in the west think of as police men – they are more businessmen – they not only police but they often stand in judgement and above all are CORRUPT beyond belief.
    This woman probably treated them in EXACTLY the same way she would have treated the police at home if confronted with a RIDICULOUS charge.

However the Thai police are a law unto themselves and furthermore will do anything to save face – so rather than treat the whole incident as Aussie European or US police might have done in a holiday resort town, they decided to get awkward – and probably thought they’d get a bit of cash into the bargain.

In the end it took a senior police officer to calm things down – I think it is highlylikely that as a result, some officers will find themselves transferred to some far kess lucrative postings.

As for “religious” – give it a rest!!!!

#9 Posted: 23/5/2009 - 10:35

• Thaiman

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

I agree that it was a ridiculous charge but it was,none the less,theft.When I first started going to Thailand all I was there for was drinking and a good time but I don't ever remember stealing anything or abusing anyone.As i said before perhaps Mr Wood is just sick to death of seeing his profits disappear due to people taking what is not theirs to take.He may have demanded that the police take action.[even if they are corrupt]

#10 Posted: 23/5/2009 - 12:40

• Advertisement

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

If you own a business like a bar in a holiday resort tyou factor in certain losses - this is pure and simple a malicious action by police and even the barman - he shouldpack up and go if he's get anything to do with it.

#11 Posted: 25/5/2009 - 12:59

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The Sydney Morning Herald has an interesting follow-up to this, saying, in part:

"Our embassy in Bangkok gets by far the largest volume of Australians behaving badly of anywhere in world."

Most of the really dumb things I did overseas were while living in the UK ... but it seems Thailand is top of the pops for most.

#12 Posted: 25/5/2009 - 14:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.