admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yours truly has an eight page spread in June's Travel and Leisure SEA, reviewing 11 "less touristed" islands in Thailand.

Unfortunately they don't put their stories online so I can't link to it, but for the keen island hoppers out there who can't pick up a copy, the islands are: Ko Adang, Ko Lao Liang, Ko Rok Ko Jum, Ko Yao Noi, Ko Yao Yai, Ko Phra Thong, Ko Kho Khao, Ko Chang (the west coast one), Ko Taen and Ko Wai.

As you can see from the links, quite a few of these are already profiled on Travelfish -- but not all of them... so there's still quite a bit of empty beach out there!

I realise this is a very subjective collection of islands -- would be interested to hear what other's thoughts are -- no you don't have to give your secrets away if you don't want to!.

Cheers!

#1 Posted: 7/6/2009 - 12:21

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Here are my subjective comments for a couple off that list.

1. Ko Kho Khao isn't exactly "remote". In fact it's so near the mainland that getting there takes approximately 5 minutes on a sort of barge.

I stayed at the Ko Kho Khao Resort for a couple of nights in 2007. It's a big hotel catering to a surprising number of well-heeled western tourists who didn't look like "off the beaten track backpacker" types to me.

I stayed in the cheapest rooms @ 1000B/night (after discussion) on walk-in and they were very nice...very luxurious and comfortable after 10 days sleeping without a mattress on the floor of a tent in the Surins anyway.

Scenery-wise, Ko Kho Khao is nothing to write home about really. The beach on the ocean side of the island is OK but most people seem to prefer lounging around the pool at their hotel.

There's a blind masseur working at that hotel who tells a great story about what it's like to be blind when a tsunami hits BTW. Ko Kho Khao is very near the fishing village of Baan Nam Khem, the worst hit place in Thailand.

Overall impression after my short sejour there was that of a package tourist style resort without the crowds (or the facilities) of Phuket. It's OK for what it is, but the island itself isn't somewhere I need to go back to.

2. Ko Lao Liang is far busier with day trippers than that link makes out. Empty beach? Not during the day it isn't.

I went there on a day trip from Ko Sukkorn on late October or early November a few years ago. Ko Sukkorn itself was very quiet, hardly any tourists and most resorts still shut down because of low season. Ko Lao Liang on the other hand was much busier with lots of boats full of day trippers. If it's like that in low season god knows how many people descend on the place every day in high season.

The karst scenery of the Petra island group is spectacular and well worth seeing. There's also a cave on Lao Liang that reminds me a lot of the Princess cave on Phra Nang Beach near East Railey. The snorkeling is OK around there (for Thailand) and I even saw some porpoises frolicking about in the water.

However, personally I think Ko Lao Liang would be an oppressive place to stay for any length of time... in fact I don't fancy staying there at all. Towering cliffs behind the beach so you can't go anywhere else on the island except that one beach. Too little to do in the evenings and too many day trippers during the day to make it a Robinson Crusoe experience either.

#2 Posted: 7/6/2009 - 15:39

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Jeez, I haven't been to 4 of them - gotta make an effort.
    There are 2 islands at Laoliang - the daytrippers mainly go to the bigger southern one which has a basic daytrip facility operated by one of the local families - the adventure resort is on the smaller island. When I stayed I saw no daytrippers put in here.

#3 Posted: 8/6/2009 - 12:17

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I saw a whole bunch of tents at one end of the beach where we went. What were they for then?

#4 Posted: 8/6/2009 - 13:33

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Got no idea what they were doing there way back then.
    The present tent adventure-resort on Laoliang Noi has only been there 2 years. The beach on this island is much more compact - the tent resort takes up virtually the whole area behind the beach.

#5 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 13:44

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

As I mentioned, it is a subjective list.

On Ko Kho Khao the spec for the story was a dozen islands people hadn't heard of -- and I've never seen KKK mentioned in a guidebook -- that's got to be a reasonable starting point. Sure there are resorts on the island, but there is a lot of totally empty beach.

Sure you could go troppo and write up Ko Ra -- which is a truly awesome place -- perhaps I should have -- maybe next year ;-)

Re Ko Sukorn, it's "off the map" but there are actually quite a few places to stay there (we don't list everywhere on Travelfish, as many were closed when the researcher visited last year). It's sort of like an island version of Umphang -- very popular with Thai tourists but few farangs have ever heard of it.

There's other islands I thought to mention - Ko Mun Nork or Ko Si Boya for example -- but I ran out of words, and, as evidenced by comments above, one's remote is another's less remote.

And anyway, I wouldn't want to give away my faves would I ;-)

#6 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 13:53

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

#7 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 15:07

• RepeatOffen-
    der

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2011
    Location Australia

Q. answered in above post already...
    Whoops!

#8 Posted: 10/1/2011 - 10:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
More remote, less touristy and more 'Thai' culture in the south western islands ... By jojow25 on 23 Sep 2009 1 3535 23 Sep 2009
Remote northern Thailand, Phu Lang Ka ... By somtam2000 on 18 Feb 2009 8 8686 1 Nov 2010