Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Guesthouse for family of 4

• pia2am

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2009
    Location Denmark

Hi

We are a family, kids aged 5 and 8, planning a rtw trip that includes Thailand. I have read many of he guesthouse review here on travefish but most only have double rooms.

Can you recommend a nice, family- and budget friendly guesthouse with 3 to 4 beds ($25-35] in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Khao Sok national Park, Ko Lanta and Ko Lipe?

Thanks in advance

Pia

#1 Posted: 8/6/2009 - 19:56

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Bagnkok might be a little tough, but I'm sure there is something I am just not aware of.

In the provinces, though, "resorts" are everywhere, and they are pretty inexpensive. If you do internet searches on each location I'm sure you'll find something. Or you could just go there and then ask around. Be advised, though, that sex for sale is everywhere in Thailand - it's just normal here. Resorts are often, if not most often, used as short time hotels in the provinces, so while you might not notice it, a lot of the bungalows all around you will be occupied by karaoke girls and their customers for an hour or two.

But there are a lot of nice resorts that are very inexpensive and reasonably pleasant and I'm sure you could find Bungalows large enough to accmodate all of you.

#2 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 03:36

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Suk 11 has family rooms in the original hostel that can sleep up to five people for 1600B.

http://www.suk11.com/2008/NewRate.html

Be sure and book well in advance if you decide to stay here. Ever since it got mentioned in LP (and other guide books like Le Routard) it's been practically impossible to get a room there on walk in.

SUK 11 is situated on lower Sukhumvit which is rather a red light district, but they have a very strict "no overnight guest" policy so don't worry about that. Lots of families with young kids stay there. Also quite handy for transport as the skytrain is only 50m away and they have a laundry room with washing machines too which might be handy for you.

PS.They now have posh better equipped studios in a new condo w/pool on Soi 13 (3 minute walk from the old hostel) that cost 2000B/night. However they say max 3 people per studio on the website so it's probably not for you. You could enquire though if you like.

#3 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 04:25

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

pia2am

Might I suggest that taking things on face value is not an advisable trait when considering SE Asia.

Accommodation is certainly an attribute that falls into this category. What a writer says, and what an accommodation provider actually provides can be poles apart. Unlike other travel guide companies, at least the accommodation providers here on Travelfish are not writing their own descriptions. Travelfish advise that each place has been visited by a Travelfish 'representative'.

Given this, what is written may not represent the range of options available. Ask yourself "why would a Travelfish writer, knowing there are space limitations on the Travelfish 'page' write about the various possible options other than for single or couple travellers?.

My suggestion is to email the various accommodation providers in the places you intend to visit and ask them what options they have for your family. This, I think, will get you a better outcome.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 07:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Guesthouse for family of 4 ... By pia2am on 8 Jun 2009 3 1347 19 Jun 2009
Family Guesthouse Sapa ... By jhoebergen on 5 Feb 2007 0 2126 5 Feb 2007
Guesthouse accomodation Siem Reap for a family of 4. ... By coopsnpeps on 27 Mar 2010 4 3021 16 Nov 2010