Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand to Yunnan (China) border crossing - anyone with experience?

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

I posted this on "Visas and border crossings", but with no reply.

Maybe someone with Thailand experience might know.

Hi

I'm planning a trip from Chiang Mai in Thailand to Yunnan in China.

I understand there is a passenger boat from Chiang Sean in Thailand to Jinghong in China.

Has anyone any details on this trip:

* ie times, prices, etc.,

* the border crossing requirements (eg. visa on arrival to China for an Australian, or is it necessary to pre-purchase), and

* what 'problems' might need to be addressed along the way.

Cheers (in advance)

#1 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 09:23

• Advertisement

• dageshi

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2008

Kind of did this a year and a half ago, only I flew CM to JingHong. In terms of visa's you absolutely have to get one in advance, and I'd strongly recommend getting it as far in advance as possible, the chinese visa system locks up solid around important politically sensitive dates. My recollection from when I was doing research on it was that the boat itself is a fast one and I've a vague recollection that it takes 8 hours but certainly don't quote me on that I'm dredging it from memory.

As for the border, Chinese border crossings as a general rule are extremely efficient I've never had any hassle at one and I've been through 3-4 different ones. On the otherhand weirdly Americans do, been through twice with Americans (I'm British) and each time they were stopped and had their bags inspected. No problems, wasn't an excuse to steal stuff, like I say the Chinese border crossings are pretty honest affairs in my experience.

#2 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 12:21

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

dageshi, thanks

I know what you mean about China borders - done a few myself.

But, my most inefficient border crossing experience was Chinese - at Shenzen-Hong Kong. The 'officials' don't see the need to cater for the hordes that want to commute that one. The wait is generally over one hour!!!

Cheers

#3 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 13:16

• dageshi

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2008

I've done the shenzhen hong kong one as well, twice in one day infact but it was busy but o.k when I did it. I also exited out of Guanxi province into vietnam, no probs with that one, entered Shanghai from Osaka, that one fine too.

Shenzen->Hong Kong was by far the busiest though.

Jinghong was quite nice, nothing much going on there, grab a bike and go for a ride out in the countryside would be my advice. Other than that I loved Dali, getting up on the mountain there is a little hostel/guesthouse up there you can stay at, get up early and take long walks around the mountain.

Also tiger leaping gorge is f***ing amazing, would highly recommend.

#4 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 13:50

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

dageshi

Great to hear that bikes are available in Jinghong. Given that as far south as I've travelled in China is Yangshao, I'm somewhat concerned about Chinese drivers and me on a bike. I do like the slow pace elsewhere in SE Asia. So a couple of Q's..

What is the speed adopted by Chinese drivers on country roads? That is, are they like SE Asia in this area in that bike riders are given a semblance of 'respect'?

Also

What other places in Yunnan did you hire a motorbike?

And, overall what sort of price / day?

Cheers

#5 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 14:31

• dageshi

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2008

Unfortunately it was a bicycle not a motorbike, only place I remember motorbikes being available for rent was yangshuo so it might very well depend on the local police dept. However jinghong is not a major tourist route so it's entirely possible that if you ask around a bit at the guesthouses they'll be able to sort you with out with one, can't help on prices.

Generally the drivers in china especially on the rural roads were pretty reasonable and *very* slow, they use the horn alot as in to say "hey I'm a car, I'm coming, don't step out infront of me" well on minor roads anyway major roads are a bit of a free for all but I wouldn't say particularly worse than say cambodian roads. Although there is alot more traffic on the major roads. So maybe not a good comparison.

#6 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 17:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand to Yunnan (China) border crossing - anyone with experience? ... By brucemoon on 31 May 2009 2 3292 21 Jul 2009
Yunnan (China) - Thailand. ... By Gorey on 18 Jan 2011 6 2750 19 Jan 2011
Laos/China border crossing ... By tj88 on 2 Feb 2011 5 3827 21 Feb 2013
crossing the border from Hanoi into China to Kunming. ... By harajuku4me_pls on 6 May 2008 4 4952 9 May 2008
New Lao–China border crossing in Phongsali province ... By Ed_Aves on 13 Feb 2014 3 965 15 Feb 2014
Yunnan China _advice and Itinerary ... By kandpfishos on 10 Jun 2011 3 2472 12 Jun 2011
Cambodia to Thailand border crossing ... By Missis on 8 Sep 2009 6 4086 21 Jan 2010
Laos Thailand border crossing ... By steveandlesley on 28 Mar 2007 2 3022 29 Mar 2007
border crossing visa Thailand?! ... By ellie1990 on 22 Feb 2013 3 1234 26 Feb 2013
Cambodia/thailand border crossing ... By lauraandmark on 15 Sep 2008 4 2721 16 Sep 2008